Layout in Rhino for Mac

I’m new to using layout in the Wip of Rhino for Mac, are there any tutorials for the mac version out there ?

when I use the layout command, a new window pops up, but where is the toolbar ? I can click in the tools on the open model in the background, but that just minimises my layout window each time ? is there something i need to do in settings ??
screenshot attached

Hi
Had the same problem as above. Another question is if I change something in the layer configuration (ie turn on/off layer) it affects all the layouts. I thought the layer configuration could be unique for each layer/detail view.

1 Like

yes i’ve had a few problems in the wip layout, it crashed 3 times on me in 30 minutes yesterday too, ??

be great to hear if anyone has any input on layout in rhino for mac, a tutorial maybe ?

Until we get a toolbar added to the Layout window, I’ve been using floating toolbars.
I usually have Drafting and Curve Drawing open so I can draw a border, title block, and annotate detail labels.

1 Like

@John_Brock thanks for the tip John, does it freeze and crash on you from time to time ?

I’ve not had any crashing problems myself. I have had a couple of temporary “freezes” when I started the Mac, quickly went into Rhino while OSX was doing other things in the background), and started modeling. Once OSX was finished with whatever it was doing, then no issues at all for me.

Hi John
As written above one thought about layouts is the changes in the layer panel. Is is not possible to have different layers visible in the different layouts or details views. Is a change in the layers panel always affecting all layouts and details views?
Thanks in advance for a answer.

Like in Windows Rhino, you can control what shows in a detail at an object level or Layer level.
For Layers, use the “Layout and detail layer information” panel. Make a Detail active and turn the layers on an off.
For Objects, use HideInDetail and ShowInDetail

I do see a bug in Mac then turning off a layer without a detail active using the Layer and detail layer information panel is acting like the model layers panel and should only effect objects that are on the page like Windows Rhino does,

I’ll check to see if that is on the bug list.

1 Like

Thanks John for your answer. Good luck with your work. Layouts are going to very useful for us …

Just to add an observation. When double-clicking on a detail in layout mode I am able to change the visibility of layers only for that detail. However, when I have tried to save this layer state with LayerStateManager the detail specific layer state isn’t saving. That is, if any changes are made to the visibility of layers outside of the detail it is not possible to recall the detail specific layer state with LayerStateManager. Does that make sense?

Is it possible to save the layer states of individual details with LayerStateManager?

EDIT: I just realised this is probably the bug that John is referring to.

I’ll have a look at the LayerStateManager. I suspect there are problem there too that may possible be related to the specific problem reported and reliably reproduced yesterday.

I think the Layout command is very important for everyone who has to produce 2d-drawings in the end. What you implemented yet seems unfinished and with almost no controls. (Transparency, preview, other viewport-forms than rectangles ecc.).

I am new to Layouts, I have been experimenting with it over the past few days. Regarding layer visibility, I am finding that there is no need to use the LayerStateManager (I have bad experiences with it anyway, I don’t know if the bug that made my drawing crash has been resolved by now, but I am not touching it anymore). The Layout Details will keep their layer state even after you changed their visibility in the main drawing, but you have to realize that visibility of the detail layers is just a sub set of the main drawing. In other words, when you make a layer invisible in the main drawing, it will also be invisible in those details that showed it before. But when you restore visibility in the main drawing, it will only come back in those details that had that layer marked as visible. The same holds true for hiding and showing individual objects. With the command HideInDetail you can hide an object in that specific detail only, but hiding it in the main drawing will make it invisible in all details. As with layers, showing it in the main drawing will bring it back in all details where it is not specifically hidden.

Max.

I really think Rhino should become able to layout with the same functionalities as AutoCAD. In the end 2d-drawings don’t need a lot of commands, just a well implemented and thought out dimensioning, hatching and layouting (with a proper preview please).

I’m not getting anywhere with the layout function now that I’m trying to use it. I’m still noodling around with what Milezee shows in his post. I also can’t get any different view in the layout. The tutorial is for windows and I’m not finding the similar aspects in mac. I think the original post asked about mac specific tutorials. I take it there are none yet?

I believe comprehensive tutorial are in the works. In the meantime, does this help?

Thanks Dan, that helps!