Layer order

New wrinkle for Rhino 6. When I create layers I arrange them in an order that works for my drawing. Doesn’t everyone? But as I work my drawing and add layers those layers are not in the same order on the properties tab as on the layers tab. It’s a little hard to explain. Say I have created a layer titled 1- curves, then I create a layer titled 2- surfaces. And I go about drawing away only to realize I would like a layer titled 1-1 upper curves. So I create that layer and arrange it under 1- curves in my layers panel. So the order on the layers panels is
1- curves
1-1 upper curves
2- surfaces
If I then want to change an item from one layer to another and I use the objects property panel to do that the drop down menu shows the order thus
1- curves
2- surfaces
1-1 upper curves

This is really painful when there are a lot of layers. Rhino 5 did not do this although grasshopper has always done this. Is there some way I can change this behavior?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill - thanks, I’ll take a look.
@cimarronlofting - in a simple test at least, this seems to be working in the latest here:

-Pascal

Pascal,
First of all thank you for responding, you guys are great. I reopened my drawing this morning and added a few layers and it did indeed seem to work. So I went about changing things to those new layers. I then added yet another layer and that layer is back on the bottom of the list in the properties panel. I am not sure why that last one behaved different. Maybe because I modified the drawing?
Thanks,
Bill

This is something that has come up from time to time. I have it happen in some of my models as well - both in RH5 and RH6. The thing is, nobody has been able to reliably reproduce this issue, and therefore, it cannot be fixed. If you find a way of making this happen at will 100% of the time, please let us know!

Ok I have been watching closely the orders of my layers and indeed there seems to be a bug, for lack of a better term. When I create a new lay, regardless of where I place it in the layer panel, when I for example click on an object to change its layer the new layer is on the bottom of the list. Additionally, I inadvertently created a layer I did not need. When I undid that action (control Z) my new layers went to the bottom of the list in the layers pane. Trying to keep my drawing organized is driving me nuts. And it is not happening just every once in a while it is pretty consistent. V5 did not do this. Just saying.

Best regards,
Bill