Layers States: Bug/Suggestion

Hi,

when I create a bunch of layers states and name them numerically, when I get to 10 the order gets lost. 10 goes after 1. The order ends up being something like this 0,1,10,11,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Would it be possible to fix this?

best,

-M

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #2

The order is by dictionary. As 1 comes before 2 in the dictionary, any set of characters starting with 1, including numbers, will come before any entries starting with 2.

Try calling your layers 001, 002, 003, …, 010, 011, 012, … 100, 101, 102, …, 999 to get the “numerical order” right.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m suppose I just need to get use to it. But still, If you rename them with your syntax the layers states stay in place, no matter. I would need to created them from scratch. It is a small bug but is something that should be fixed.

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #4

You can re-order layers by selecting them and using the Up/Down arrows in the Layer manager, or by dragging them to the correct position.

Also, clicking the header will sort the layers. See also http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/layer.htm and search for “sort”

Hi @menno,

I’m talking about layer states not layers. And they cannot be moved around, or at least I’m not able to.

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #6

Oops my bad. Should read better. You’re right, they can’t seem to be moved/sorted.

(Brian James) #7

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion. I’ve added a request to allow rearranging in the layer state panel (RH-23115). If you leave the default numbering scheme of 01, 02, 03… it won’t go out of order as seen by humans after 10 as well but rearranging should be possible regardless.