Layer on off

Hi All,
Wonder if some one has a solution to this…

Is it possible to turn off a layer permanently until I decide to turn it back on again…BUT, while still turning off and on all (except that one) other layers, reason for this is a complex mesh, which slows down my system, so after creating a structure under the mesh, I want to turn the mesh off…Dont want to delete it. DONT want to hide it, DONT want to export or save with ref point to another drawing etc. Is there any way of doing this.

Any help welcome, also new to using forums.

Many thanks to all reading this.

Kind regards
Tony

Hi Tony -
I’m afraid I don’t understand the question.
-wim

The way I’d do it is through the following:

1- move the dense meshes to a layer
2- Hide the complex meshes ( by hiding the objects not the layer)
3 - freeze the layer containing the meshes. And lock it.

This will help keep everything hidden until you unfreeze the troublesome layer and use “Show” command

Give it a try and let us know

Another way is to move the Dense meshes to an external file and reference it as a block. You can keep the block unloaded while you are working on other stuff.

Hi Wim,
Thanks so much for getting back and yes its not that clear, however, it looks like “tay.0” has solved it. I had completely forgotten about freezing layers (old ACAD days), I think this will do what I want.
Many thanks
Tone

Hi tay.0.
Thanks also for getting back. YES, I had forgotten all about freezing layers, (old ACAD days). I will give it a go.

Many thanks
Tone

Hi Tony -

I guess I still don’t understand. Locking a layer doesn’t “turn the mesh off” that is slowing down your system…
-wim

hi @tay.othman , what’s ‘layer freezing’? is this a new thing in V8 I guess? what’s its function?

Thanks,

G

In my Rhino vocabulary, locking and freezing is the same.
-wim

2 Likes

Sorry guys too many software vocabulary for me

Freezing is Hiding
Locking is locking

Hi G,
No my mistake, I was under impression I could freeze a layer, used to be able to do this in ACAD many moons ago, but I cant find any ref to it in Rhino.
Tony

Hi wim,

What i mean is that I have the mesh on a layer that I have turned off as its slowing down the system even when rendered. I then isolate a different part im woking on so nothing else is on, I then finish work on that part and turn all layers back on.
Then I have to go back into layer box and scroll up to my mesh layer that is now on and turn it off again because it slows the system down. I work on isolated parts as system responds much quicker etc, every time I turn layers back on I have to go and turn mesh of, which is only there as a ref after I created initial construction etc.
Does that make sense etc.
Kind regards
Tone

What is slowing down the system is the display of the mesh, not the size in memory of the mesh itself. Thus the only way to improve display performance is to turn the layer off or just hide the mesh object…

…or, since you don’t want to do any of those, maybe get a better graphics card. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If the mesh is only there as a “reference”, depending on how you might be using it as a reference you could run ReduceMesh to drastically reduce the number of faces and thus improve the display speed. It will of course alter the shape of the mesh somewhat, up to you to decide if that is acceptable or not.

Hi Tony -

Up to the point where you turn that layer on again, yes.
Why do you turn it on again?
If that is because it takes some time to find it among a large amount of layers, perhaps simply move that one layer to the very top or bottom of the list? Or use saved layer states in the LayerStateManager?
-wim

I think I’d put all the other layers (the ones other than the mesh layer) under a sub-layer. Then you can just turn on & off the one non-mesh layer with all your sub-layers, essentially turning on & off everything but the mesh.

Hi win,
I turn on all layers, to get my GA (model) displayed again. Then go into layers and turn off mesh (again).

On reflection guys, I think its best I save the mesh as another drawing with a good ref / datum point that I can bring back into GA when I need to.

Thanks for all your help.
Tone

Thanks Helvetosour,
Yes, Ive already reduced mesh as much as I dare. Its a large machine and component and Im just working remotely on a laptop, I will just have to be a bit mor patient.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: