Keep Pause running in Macro

when i make a macro involving the Polyline i enter Pause, but it still quits after one line.
How do i keep running till i actually hit enter or in this case till the polyline gets closed ?

i mean i can input a ton of pauses just to be sure to have enough which would work but how would i solve that smarter?

Multipause

1 Like

cool, thanks Mitch, i did not find that in the wiki, but i must admit i am very confused with how macros are explained there… so maybe i just have not looked well enough.

ok, the wiki says

Please feel free to add to or edit this tutorial! This is a work in progress…

OK and to be very fair it actually is in the helpfile! my bad.

Yeah, that article was written before Multipause happened (V6+). I’ll update it as soon as I can.

Edit - I added a small note to the topic on Multipause.

Same for me.
There’s a lack of informations regarding the Macro grammar, then glossary and Rhino options that are Macro scriptable.

My humble opinion…

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

In your opinion, what needs to be added to the Wiki article to make it better?

Well, one example :

Then you look there
Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 10.50.28

Then Pascal answer this

Where is it explained that such an option is Macro scriptable and if so, how to write it ?

How can we guess that an option called Only snap to selected objects can used as a macro ?

How can we guess that is has to be written like this _OnlySnapToSelected and not like this _OnlySnapToSelectedObjects ?

What are the rules ? This is not well explained online …
Just an example.

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

There are many thousand different macro combinations possible in Rhino, obviously they can not all be explained individually. A general example for setting interface options is found in the Wiki article:

In general, to design a macro it’s always wise just to start running the -dash version of the command and clicking on the various options you need - then set that up in the macro editor and test.

Thank you for your answer.

Sure not.
But I have read this wiki many times before, and it is not enough.

Maybe with your programming knowledge you have a better instinct to write macros, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s often a pain as well as for students.

A dedicated McNeel video explained typical cases and few more specific templates would be welcome to provide additional information.

My humble opinion.

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

I’m sure a video would be nice - I’m not the one to do it though. That said, the following is incorrect:

I wrote that Wiki article probably back in 2005 or so, before I had any knowledge of programming/scripting at all. I have updated it periodically since, but the essence has not changed. How did I learn the stuff back then? By trying, testing, failing, and asking questions.

From of my favorite old movies “Teacher’s Pet” with Clark Gable and Doris Day: Gable is a hard-bitten newspaperman who has no real formal education and has worked his way from the bottom up through the ranks to become a reporter. A young aspiring copy-boy gives him articles to read, for which he is always correcting the spelling. The apprentice asks “How did you learn to spell?” Gable’s response: “One goddamn letter at a time.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My bad, the semantic I use in English is not always correct.
I forgot one word, what I wanted to write is … " may have a better instinct…

Ttrying, testing, failing, and asking questions is indeed the right path.

I vote for a McNeel video.

Regards
Rodolfo Santos