Kangaroo 2.42 Beams - Interaction with Rigid Body Goals

(Brian) #1

I was wondering if anyone has had success in combining Kangaroo 2’s 6dof beams with other rigid body goals? In particular I am trying to use the rigid body align faces goal to make 2 frames made of beams interactively “snap” to each other causing them both to deform into position. My goal is to have them click ad therefore create a moment connection across them dynamically in the simulation.

I am trying to use the same frames/planes in the beams and in the face alignment but it seems to have no effect. Would anybody have any hints?

I have a version that I did with meshes and springs to achieve the same effect but it was extremely slow to run in comparison to the way the 6dof beams respond.

(Brian) #2

Just an update for anyone who has read my daft question… I was getting myself confused with the frames of the beams and rigid bodies, once I carefully went through the planes I was using it all worked perfectly!

(Daniel Piker) #3

Hi Brian -

Sorry I didn’t respond to this at the time.
Glad you figured out the issue with the frames. I realise the current setup with separate end frames and node frames is rather confusing.
I’ve been working on a new release including some improvements to the rigid bodies that might be helpful for this, and thought I’d have it ready in a day or 2, but things have taken a little longer than planned.

It’s an interesting idea - I had a little play:

One thing I found when trying this was that when snapping the sets of 8 corners, it is easy to accidentally snap things diagonally or with the cubes passing through each other.
So I was thinking that it would probably be nicer to have a different sort of snaps for 6dof nodes, that would snap them to a specific distance and orientation.

2 Likes