Issue with python editor

Windows (PC) restart also doesn’t fix the issue.

In fact even if it is not * the function hint fails.
even if it is from something import something

Never had this issue before today.

This is the version I have: 6.15.19141.08361

Will install now: 6.16.19169.11231

Issue is still there

Looks like an example of a longstanding bug which appears to still be open:

If you search discourse for autocomplete or intellisense you’ll see lots of problem reports over the years :unamused:

That’s very weird.

Pity noone is even working on that issue and it was created 4 years ago. :thinking:

No problem here in the Rhino Python editor in Rhino 5

################################
###  TEST CODE TEMPLATE      ###
################################

import math
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

from Rhino import DocObjects

rs. # autocompletes normally

hmm I even get that when just:

import myscript

and also when the thing you import is none existent

(6.14)

but does it also happen after you run the script once? here it ‘fixes’ the issue

I think it is not the from but importing a custom script that causes it
edit: just tested it in rhino 5 and same issue
so to work around: run the script once and you get your intelliSense back

2 Likes

by the way, don’t do this: from add_clipping_plane import * because explicit is better than implicit

This isn’t true.

I wrote the intellisense system that the current editor uses and there are many ways to break it. You found one. I believe I even called it intelliclunk in the UI.

1 Like

Ahh yes I do get that if I import * from a module which contains nothing…

I’m sorry, I was referring to the:

Any way to fix that?
I’m pretty sure before today I have never experienced it.

I do this only when it’s created by me and I have 2-3 methods inside. :slight_smile:

To save typing 2 or 3 methods ? :slight_smile:

to obfuscate what I’m doing there :smiley:

to be honest, before I started doing that I really didn’t find reason to split my projects in multiple files. But as it turns out the same method can be used in many projects and I naturally started splitting them all :smiley:.

I always learn the hard way.

Not with the current system. Alain is investigating a completely new architecture for providing autocomplete in the future. Still just in the investigation stage though

2 Likes

Not this time: this time, in 6 months when you have forgotten which method came from where, you will be glad you listened to me :wink:

2 Likes

That’s not gonna happen since, like I said, I only have a couple of methods in each file :wink: and I hate using import * in cases when the file is not created by me.

here is one way that might fix it:

Hello,

I’m finding myself with the same problem. I import the entire module I created and below that I don’t get any suggestions anymore. Did you manage to find a solution in the end?

Thanks.