Is there a way to move the view within a detail viewport a specific amount?

If I have a couple of floorplans that are offset by 100’, it would be nice to be able to go into a detail viewport and move it exactly 100’ so I can have drawings in the exact same position on two different layouts.

In AutoCAD, you can type it ‘-p’ and choose and amount to move. Is there anything similar in Rhino? If not, I can just draw an index line at a set point on the floor plan (like a corner) and use that to position them.

Yes, it can be done. First make sure that the detail is the active viewport. If it is not, double-click inside the detail. Turn on (click) Properties Panel and display its Viewport Property page (click Viewport Property page icon - it looks like a camera). Unlock the detail (if it is locked) and set its scale relative to the model space. Double-click on the layout outside the detail to make layout the active viewport. Select the viewport and turn on its control points (press F10 key). Select all control points of this detail. Turn on Gumball. Use the Gumball to move the control points (probably by 100 units). Lock the detail. You probably will move the entire detail in opposite direction.

Quick question: is this still valid in Rhino 7 / 8 ? I am trying to do the exact same thing (pan inside a viewport with a specific lenght) but I can’t seem to do it right. Any thoughts? Thanks!

@bmscmoreira did you find it? Because I just made it in Rhino 7 guessing it will work in rhino 8.

Hi @armengoligasull, thanks for the info. I tried (briefly) with no luck in Rhino 7 but I must be doing something wrong. Will check this out later today :slight_smile:

EDIT: First of all make sure your detail is not locked!

ChangeSpace and ZS workaround
I usually draw a rectangle snapped to the edges of the detail and then ChangeSpace that from Layout in to the detail (so it ends up in 3D space). Now move the rectangle in 3D to where you want the new detail to be.

Make a new Layout, go into it’s detail and select the rectangle and Zoom Selected (ZS).
Go back to Layout and set the detail scale to the same as the initial one.

Note that the rectangle will show up in print, so either delete them or offset them a little bit to make sure they are not shown.

Another way is to just alter the camera X value:
Double click the detail, make sure nothing is selected and then alter the Camera X value.
Note that this is in world units, not Layout units.

Last method:
(This one does not require the detail to be unlocked)
You can also just move the detail in Layout, then turn on controlpoints for the detail and then drag them back to where they were.
(but that doesn’t fit the way I work, so I prefer the other ones)

1 Like

@bmscmoreira try this and let me know if it worked for you. I just had to do it for a project.
As the image attached show, I just needed to move the detail in the “y” direction 7.53m (from A to B). So, going to the layout, with the unlock, go to the target option and just subtract the distance you want to move from the number that appears (-0.275 -7.53=-7.805). I attached two more pictures.
Hope it works!!!
Bests,
Alba.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps a lot, altough we have to do the math … and I don’t like (much) math :slight_smile: