Is Notebook ASUS ROG Strix G512LV-AZ139T enough to run Rhino? For how long do you think I should be able to use it?

Notebook ASUS ROG Strix G512LV-AZ139T

Intel® Core™ i7 10750H 2,6 GHz, 12 MB Cache

Windows 10 Home

RAM

16 GB (0 GB Onboard + 16 GB Offboard)

512 GB SSD PCIe NVME M2

NVIDIA GeForce® RTX™ 2060 com ROG Boost;

Speaking from my personal experience and that of friends, I’d say heavily used notebooks can last you about 3 to 5 years, depending on their build quality and cooling system. The battery will die first after about 2 to 4 years - depending on how quickly you run through the charge cycles -, but it can usually be pretty easily replaced, even if glued in. This is not a comment on the above hardware, on which Rhino will surely run, but rather about laptops in general.

The really depends on the amount of garbage you produce with that… The more control-points you persist on your hard-drive, the more likely is a failure on a longer term. Occasionally intersecting garbage with garbage will create super-garbage. This is toxic for you hard drive. On top of this, if you are prefixing your “.3dm” or “.gh” files with “voronoi” or “differential-growth” or “surrogate” the laptop might run into an emergency state after a couple of months…

That’s pretty similar to the specs of the desktop that I’m currently running. The only difference is that I have 32GB of RAM (and not an ROG 2060).

I can’t speak to how it’ll run on 16GB of memory, but I haven’t had any issues with mine running 32. I don’t do heavy rendering though, I’m strictly doing design/drafting and a bunch of Grasshopper with it. It gets a bit slower when I’m working with models with hundreds and hundreds of fasteners though.

to answer your question clearly, Yes this laptop should run rhino nicely. The rtx cards are generally performing nicely and as long as you are running even a basic modern processor, the video card is the key to rhino performing well. Buy as much vram and cuda cores as you can afford.

generally speaking a desktop will out perform and outlive a laptop as they are easier to service and have better cooling. They are, although, much more difficult to carry to a coffeeshop.

1 Like

what are you talking about?

Ok I’ll guess you did not understand the joke below my statement.

The machine is totally fine for most of the modeling work. And it will be like this for a long time as long as you know what you are doing. I mean if money is no problem then always go for the best…

If you experience that your machine is too weak, then this is because you almost always create or display unnecessary data = “garbage”. Usually Grasshopper scripts (AI, Differential Growth, Recursive algorithms) tend to produce lots of unnecessary data very quickly, but also if you don’t care about cp count you will likely run into performance issues. Intersecting “heavy” data (Boolean union etc.) are one the most performance draining operations in Rhino and if you don’t care about lightweight shapes you will always have a bad user experience.

Compared to Catia and other CAD, Rhino has a general Problem in dealing with large data, so I’m not so sure if 10-20% more single core performance or some more CUDA cores will really change this.

Just 2 years ago I was running Rhino on a $20000 machine and it still didn’t made any large difference. Just as comparison, in Catia you can load a complete production-ready vehicle (with all parts) into an average 3 year old workstation and you will have a fluent experience. In Rhino only a small fraction of such a dataset is possible. However you can still work on a part, you just need to isolate the data to the relevant bits and pieces. If you always work in that minimal manner you can do a lot, even on weaker machines. I mean people did CAD work in the 90’s and they could also produce any sort of vehicle, consumer good or building.

In other words, limitations are rather the issue of software implementation and the amount of data involved. If you know this, you can use the money and rather invest in knowledge and health. E.g. an ergonomic chair and desk, a better suited screen for office work and some costly fitness activities. Otherwise it’s you the human, who needs to be replaced after a couple of years!

Yes it will be good. I’ve been a fan of asus for awhile (have one still going like brand new 6 years now) but jumping ship because their new laptops no longer have built in cameras (not great especially for the current work from home etc. situation). You will need to purchase an external camera (asus also makes one). Quite a silly move on their part considering how important video collaboration has become and who really wants a big external camera hanging on the top of their screen :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if this is soo silly. Many companies order a large amount of notebooks without webcams. It’s just a very high security risk for many of them. Especially for R&D departments. Nowadays, many common web services just silently activate the webcam. It’s easy to do, even without the status LED turned on.

Asus Rog is a gaming laptop for consumers. Not a business one. I doubt it has anything to do with security and has more to do with laptop thinness (and making you purchase extras - the apple mentality). At least have an option or just build in a camera cap cover if it is such a concern (some laptops have sliding ones). Seems a terrible way to lose your customer base (gamers all streaming on twitch, or the endless zoom meetings). Actually lots of complaints about them removing the camera online. I’ve never seen Asus Rogs (Republic of Gamers) in a office setting in mass.

You are probably right… At least they don’t claim it’s because of environmental sustainability… This is really a punch in the face to all efforts in protecting the planet.

1 Like

Funny enough, the Asus business laptops (ZenBook) do still have built in cameras lol.

1 Like