Iris 0.5.2 Released

release

(Luis Fraguada) #1

Hello All,
A new version of Iris has been released. Along with this release, documentation has been updated, including the API documentation, Tutorials (need to complete some on the page), and a Changelog. If you have any requests for tutorials, please let me know. Use this thread to comment on any issues with this latest release.

The most important change in this update is the Shadow behavior. Now it is as follows:

• If no light(s) in Rhino model, model is lit by ambient lighting and no shadows are cast.
  • If there are lights in the Rhino model, check each light’s ‘Shadow Intensity’ setting to determine whether it will cast a shadow or not. If a light has a ‘Shadow Intensity’ of more than 0, a shadow is cast.

(Wim Dekeyser) #2

I don’t seem to be getting past the 99% level in object processing - RH6 WIP.

I’ve tried exporting and SavingAs…

(Luis Fraguada) #3

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Out of curiosity, have you been able to try it in Rhino 5? Same behavior?

(Wim Dekeyser) #4

I checked now on RH5 with the same model - that works without problems.

(Luis Fraguada) #5

Hello @wim. I’m trying with several kinds of files and am not coming up with anything specific that would point to not being able to save. A few questions:

• Did you create the folder C:\Temp? Is your user on the machine the owner of the directory, or have the appropriate permissions to save there (I guess so since it worked in Rhino 5)?
  • There are some changes in the latest WIP that prevented me from processing the lights in the Rhino model in the same manner as in Rhino 5. I updated the code there to make it work, but I wonder if there are other object types that might be seeing some changes in the WIP that are preventing them from working? What kinds of objects are you trying to export? A file is always helpful.

Best,
Luis

(Wim Dekeyser) #6

A few answers: :wink:

• I first tried saving in one of my regular directories but then tried the temp directory for the sake of the screen shot.
  • I’m only trying with a simple box so far - then again, there’s more to a file than just the objects so here’s a file: Test-Box.3dm (96.2 KB)

Something else: when Saving As (instead of exporting selected objects) from my default template, I get a lot (an awful lot) of hits saying that hatches, details, and clipping planes are not supported. Could these just be mentioned once instead of for each and every instance in the file?

(Luis Fraguada) #7

Something else: when Saving As (instead of exporting selected objects)
from my default template, I get a lot (an awful lot) of hits saying that
hatches, details, and clipping planes are not supported. Could these
just be mentioned once instead of for each and every instance in the
file?

Sure. Makes sense: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/IP-122

With regards to the file, things export fine over here. Are we on the same version of Rhino WIP? Here’s mine:
Work In Progress (6.0.16292.17231, 10/18/2016)

(Wim Dekeyser) #8

Same one here:

Here’s my SystemInfo:

Rhino 6 SR0 2016-10-18 (Public Build, 6.0.16292.17231, Git hash:6.0.16292.17231 in branch n/a)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 31Gb)

Quadro K3100M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.39)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-2-2016
Driver Version: 10.18.13.6839
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript” n/a
C:\02 wrmd\01 Rhino\bin\PlugIns\Iris - WebGL\Iris for WIP\Iris.WIP.rhp “Iris” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position” n/a

(Luis Fraguada) #9

Does it make any difference if Iris is in this directory:
C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins ?
I can imagine you just placed the plugin in the most convinient location for you (which should be just fine) but I’m trying to see if it has to do with where the plugin is in relation to where it wants to save to.

Something changed in the recent WIP that is affecting saving, but I can’t seem to get more specific than that unfortunately.

This is happening will all models in WIP?

(Wim Dekeyser) #10

Moved the Iris plugin - SystemInfo below.
I have tried with a few models but all of them are showing the same behavior.
I suppose you could post a file here that I could try just to make sure.
w

Rhino 6 SR0 2016-10-18 (Public Build, 6.0.16292.17231, Git hash:6.0.16292.17231 in branch n/a)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 31Gb)

Quadro K3100M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.39)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-2-2016
Driver Version: 10.18.13.6839
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position” n/a
C:\Users\dekeysw\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Iris.WIP.rhp “Iris” n/a

(Luis Fraguada) #11

WIPSPHERES.3dm (153.8 KB)
Here are some spheres from a block…exports ok from here.
(seriously appreciate your time!)

(Wim Dekeyser) #12

No problem :sunny:

… but no such luck…

Iris 0.5.3 Released
(Luis Fraguada) #13

I think the strangest thing is that popup… That should not be there. This info should just come on the command line. This tells me that it is not any of the errors I’m trying to catch in Iris, and is an error on the level of the plugins class…

Is it possible to export in Shaded mode and not Rendered mode?

For the future, it would be great to have a way to add some sort of notes popup icon so that I can add comments on certain areas of the model.

Thanks.

(Luis Fraguada) #15

There should be no constraint on which view mode you are in when exporting. Is this written somewhere, or are you experiencing this?

I’ll add the notes pop up to the task list. How would you imagine adding this in Rhino? For example, using a dot?

I am in Perspective, Shaded mode when I use the export option (also tried Save As) and in both cases the resulting file is a Rendered view. I realize that is probably what most people prefer but it would be nice to have the option to export in simple shaded mode which for me is sufficient.

It would be great to be able to add the popup notes via a browser interface. Sort of like the way you can add comments to a PDF document. Not sure if that is a realistic expectation.

(Luis Fraguada) #17

At the moment, there are no alternative shading modes in the iris web app. I’d love to add some in the future.

As for the notes, you should think of Rhino as the editor for the web scene, so we should conceive of a way to add this data in Rhino so that it gets exported. I think dots could be a way to add these notes to the model, but there could be other ways…

(Luis Fraguada) #18