iRhino scanning object seems unstable

First of all I would like to say that I am really excited that this app is being created and I am looking forward to its future development. :slight_smile:

However, I wanted to try object scanning. However, it seems to be very unstable on my device (ipad pro 11 2021).
It always crashes around 30 to 35 frames. So it is not possible to complete the scan in a higher quality. Unfortunately this tablet is the only device in our office with LIDAR so I don’t have chance to test on another device.

1 Like

Hi, what version of iRhino3D are you using.

And can you clarify at what point does the app crash? Does it crash while capturing the frames or while processing?

1 Like

I am using the latest version 8.8.24114. I also tried the TestFlight version and there is a very similar problem, the difference is that the app crashes during frame 47.

And it always happens during capturing frames. If I finish the process earlier, the processing goes fine.

1 Like

Got it, let me try to see if I can repeat that on my end.

1 Like

I just tried a scan with 72 frames and it didn’t crash.
I’m using an iPad Pro (11-inch) (3rd generation)

I wonder if you’re running out of space on your device. Can you try clearing some space before scanning?

1 Like

me too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I still have something around 50 Gb of free space, so I don’t think the problem is here. But I tried some more scanning and probably managed to find the problem more specifically. If I scan a normal object such as headphones with no shiny areas, everything works fine, but if I scan an object from an image and during the process I get this window, after a few frames the app crashes.

That’s odd, I did get that dialog in my experience but no crash.

I’ll keep digging but since we’re just using Apple’s object capture library and since the crash is happening in the middle of the capture even if I reproduce it I probably won’t be able to do much. We’ll have to raise an issue with Apple

It is mentioned that reflective and transparent objects won’t work very well.

1 Like

Okay, I undestand

Thank you very much for your feedback!

1 Like