Introducing TriRemesh - high quality triangular and hexagonal remeshing and shrink wrapping

This is amazing! Thank you Daniel!

2 Likes

Wow, nice way to ring in the new year.

2 Likes

No time right now but I want to try it on this model here:

scanned with my Artec Leo

2 Likes

The best sentence to read !
Thank you!

3 Likes

what a nice new year gift.
thanks @DanielPiker keep on this way!

1 Like

Here an example of some shrink wrapping - taking a complex mesh of composed of many parts and internal details (the engine and seats are all modelled) and wrapping it into a single closed solid mesh by taking the bounding box as the starting geometry and the disjoint mesh of many pieces as the target.

To not get people’s hopes up too much - this is pushing it to the limit - the shrink wrapping could still use some improvement for really complex models like this - it can still get a bit tangled when there are very fine details below the scale of the edge length. It’s also slower than simply remeshing an object in place - this one took almost a minute to process. I’m hoping this can be improved though.

This sort of thing can also be approached with isosurfacing, but setting the iso threshold high enough to unify the mesh and close any holes does tend to lose some of the detail. I think there’s also some interesting possibilities for combining the 2 approaches.

(car model from here)

9 Likes

Thanks for this tool it works very well.
I had just some problem finding the good directory as my Rhino 7 is still in Rhino WIP and also I had to install last version 7.2.

For dual network I also use my own tool that needs a weight at the Vertex (0.0= triangle to 1.0 = dual). I also have 2 types of dual.

7 Likes

Hi Daniel, all,

this looks great! I tried to install it and it’s not working for me:

My components folded looks like this:

and Kangaroo tab is available:

After downloading Trimesh.zip, unblocking the zip file, and Running Rhino 7.1 as administrator, I still cannot get this to load.

Kangaroo tab is missing:

And when I launch Rhino>Grasshopper I get this in the command line:

Command: _Grasshopper
An error occured during GHA assembly loading:
Path: C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\Components\Kangaroo2Component.gha
Exception System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Resources.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,

G

I had the same problem you need last version, the release candidate the 7.2

3 Likes

Many thanks, Daniel! I can’t wait for next SR. And I have to say that I’ve never regret choosing Rhino + Grasshopper as my main design toolset. Why? Because it’s getting more and more powerful, but also because of it’s amazing community and people like you. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

very nice - fast too. thanks Daniel

triremesh

3 Likes

I second all of this.

I’ll add that even with Rhino’s limitations (e.g.: ASME drafting standards or parametric driving dimensions), R/GH can be used in parallel with other programs. I can do some amazing things by starting with a parametric model in Solidworks (since it’s already paid for) then importing into Rhino for the really cool stuff, and even back to Solidworks for say GD&T or other things that other software might be better at.

1 Like

So excited for this! Been following your development of this tool since the beginning, and it enabled us to do some cool optimisations, like changing the mesh topoogy in response to structural stresses, so i can’t wait to see what the added stability and speed will make possible.

I think this will be a huge boon for those who want to take complex shapes from Rhino/GH into FEA packages.

Haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but very excited to hear about the added speed and robustness. The hidden slivers are definitely a challenge I have had to face!

Thanks as always, @DanielPiker

6 Likes

Thanks Laurent, that did it!

G

1 Like

That’s what I thought I understood when I first read the topic, seeing this:

But fully rereading @DanielPiker’s post, it isn’t clear if it’s just the Grasshopper version that will be available in the next SR…

Will it indeed be the case that this will be added as a native Rhino command plus options?

Thanks,
–Mitch

Hi Mitch,
Sorry it wasn’t clear - right now there is only a Grasshopper component, which is what will be in the next SR. The plan is to also have it as a Rhino command soon though.

8 Likes

Thought i would print some hearts i liked the pattern so much. These will be cast in silver.

1 3

6 Likes

Cast nicely too. TriRemesh will be a great addition in my toolbox now - thanks Daniel :slight_smile:

heart

11 Likes

Very excited about this. I still use MeshMachine and SimpleRemesh quite a bit. Is there a mesh multi-pipe component coming as well, or is this an update of ExoWireframe?

Wow - That looks great @KeithR

@bachman - this is the new MultiPipe component, which is part of Grasshopper now (1,2,3)
To pipe the edges of an ngon mesh you can connect the Face Boundaries component to the Curves input like shown above.

5 Likes