Intersect freezes rhino

I’ve noticed that the Intersect & IntersectTwoSets command work on average about 40-60% of the time. It freezes rhino so frequently that I notice myself unconsciously saving before running one of these commands. Is this known to be a bug? Has anyone else noticed this behavior? It has been like this for the last several updates.

FYI, the files in question are all very simple: I just tried intersecting 3 closed polysurfaces with a single surface and got saw it.

more info: when running the command, the interface freezes and if I try to hit the close button it will ask if I want to revert to a saved version, but doesn’t ever seem to save. I have to force quit and restart rhino.

thanks
bob

Sounds odd - normally either command should work pretty fast unless you have hundreds of objects to intersect… Do you have more system info (OS version, machine specs…)? --Mitch

I agree; I feel like it might be a bug because it happens with really simple intersections between only a few objects. Oddly enough, when I force quit then restart and try it again (intersect) with the same objects, it almost always works.

system specs;
rhino 5 2014-11-10 5A580
2011 macbook pro 2.4Ghz i7
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
12GB ram
yosemite os x 10.10

ugh, its almost predictable now. quite frustrating. Is there some way to enable background logging as rhino is running so we can find out where it is getting hung up? The command history window just says “Intersection in progress…press Esc to cancel”. not super helpful!

I’ve had this problem, too. I always make sure i save my work before attempting an intersect, because it’s about 50/50 whether it will freeze or not.

Hmm… bizarre. This must have something to do with your particular system config, otherwise we would have had more of a general uproar here… Unfortunately, I have no idea how to diagnose this, only @marlin might. I guess the first thing to do that might helpful would be to post your system specs/info…

–Mitch

This is what I brought up a couple of posts before - the program hangs on a select few commands, while you’re waiting the computer seems to be thinking, after a while you click to see what’s going on and note that you can click on items which appear to be active, you can change viewports but the command still seems to be running - you can’t save. Right click and quit application doesn’t close Rhino and force quit loses the work.

Luckily I’ve developed cmd S Tourettes - Mac Rhino has a fantastic history

Could you please provide a sample model so we can duplicate the problem you are seeing? Thanks.

I confirm that I too have had this problem. I had the current version, 2 total blocks with the need to do a forced exit, while other times, when the command is executed, the Rhino “write” something like “calculation of areas failed, and sets the wireframe display.” Note that this behavior occurs only sporadically, and occurs in 80% of cases, using my standard procedure to create the fillet between surfaces: 1) I confirm that I too have had this problem. I had the current version, 2 total blocks with the need to do a forced exit, while other times, when the command is executed, the Rhino “write” something like “calculation of areas failed, and sets the wireframe display.” Note that this behavior occurs only sporadically, and occurs in 80% of cases, using my standard procedure to create the fillet between surfaces: 1) creation with the “tubular shape” using a board surfaces (often linked) 2 command “explode” on tubular shapes just created. 3) Command “Extend surfaces” on the edge of the tubular forms. 4) command “subdivide” on the surface and tubular forms. At this point the problem: after selecting the surface appears an error window, but you can still select tubular forms for the division. At this point the command will be executed but Rhino will behave as in the problem of interjection, which will set the wireframe display writing on the bottom line “calculation failed surfaces etc.”. One of the files that this problem is what I just sent to the stand with the name “test1” to smnrap … @ gm …

I have been having the same thing happen for me as well and it’s been months if not more, and on two different computers. I also save before doing an intersect as a habit now. The next time it happens I’ll upload the report. Also it happens with as few as two surfaces for me.

So this happened again to me today and I managed to catch it with a screen grab. Sorry for the jerkiness, didn’t realize how much i usually click around.

Rhino Intersection Freeze (Hit HD to see the larger better quality version)

here’s whats happening:

1. had been working on a file long enough to get the sense that an intersect would likely fail. Made a plane and box to test.
  2. ran the intersect command (aliased to “IS”)
  3. rhino seems to start something but never gives an intersect. freezes the viewport windows. my mad clicking proves this :slight_smile:
  4. You can see that other parts of the UI can be selected but no further commands can be run. it should be noted that I hit escape several times during this test.
  5. not shown but always necessary is Force Quitting rhino. once I restart, the intersect works without a problem.

really frustrating. works exactly like this about 75% of the time i would guess. I can send the file but it seems file independent.

thanks, bob

1 Like

Yup, that’s the chap. It happens on and off like that for me but usually with larger model and groups - I thought it was the complexity of my model that was causing it, good to know my laptop isn’t baulking :slight_smile:

I find that sometimes it isn’t even with complicated solids, but intersections where the two shapes may have some coplanar surfaces or edges.

Still hoping for a sample model and directions how to duplicate the problem.

Same problem here. been happening for at least a year

But you are not able to predictably duplicate the problem?

Same problem here also. Intersect command freezes the program.

can you repeat the behavior repeatably? do you have a particular file that this occurs with?

if so, i’m pretty sure the developers would love a copy of the file along with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the freeze.

I get the same problem. not often, but often enough to be a problem. and as a previous poster said, it doesnt even have to be complex geometry. only way to get out of it is to force quit rhino. also is it just me or has the “press the escape key to abort” feature in the mac version never worked ever on any operation? times i would most like to use it in particular is for aborting a make2d that is taking too long…

i almost thought i had one a couple of days ago… Intersect froze on me… i let it go for around 15minutes and it didn’t complete so i force quit the app.

i repeated the steps leading up to the crash*… (approx 20 steps)… and the Intersect operation completed instantly.
:confused:

[edit] * it didn’t actually crash… i force quit… and wasn’t signaled to send a report upon relaunch.