Internalise data or ...?

482/5000

Hello

I want to record data that I could freeze with a button.
Let me explain :
I have a series of points. I want to modify a first point (displacement in Z index 1 for example). I want to save this point and then modify a point at index 5 (X displacement for example).

In fact, I would have to internalize the data either at the end of my modification or by a button. I searched but could not find any answer.

Thanks for your help

Like this?

I think some additional information on what exactly you are trying to do would be helpful.

You donā€™t need to ā€˜saveā€™ any data because in gh the output of nodes stays consistent even when you change some values later in the definition you can still extract the original values from your point list at the start

You could record data in the end (record data component -> clicking on it will safe the data)
Than disconnect it and plug it in the beginning. Not a great solution, but it is one :smiley:
But yes, like @lando.schumpich said, more informations would be helpfull.

Thank you for the answers.
I tried MetaHopper, but I can not put a correct data in the param.

Thank you for the answers.
I tried MetaHopper, but I can not put a correct data in the param.
On my file:
I change the Z coordinate of point 0 to have a Z at 14.00 for example.
I then want to change the coordinate of point 2. So I have to save my first modification, otherwise when I change the index, the Z of point 0 returns to its original value.

Do you mind posting your definition?

How often you need to do that? Looks like your editing 8 points.
For exmaple with the ā€œgene poolā€ you have many sliders in one.

W reseau.3dm (72.7 KB)

rƩseau.gh (236.5 KB)

Sorry, as I am doing tests (I start) it is not really tidy ā€¦
I also put the file that I use to work.

Canā€˜t look at your file atm. But you can add as much sliders to the genepool as you want. You got there the index for each slider. In my opinion that could be a solution to avoid loops etc.

If you just need to internalize the resulting points, this should work for you.
Get%20Connected%20Objects

it was so simpleā€¦thank you ! ā€¦ Is it possible to reconnect it ?

I donā€™t think soā€¦

So basically what you want to achieve is this: Move one point, store results, then on a later stage move another point, store results, move another, etcā€¦ etcā€¦ etcā€¦ Right?

If so you really make your task more difficult. Grasshopper is not very good with loops and iterations. Even though it can cope with some iterative stuff.

As Tim have said already, better create sliders for all the points and save yourself the headache. You will at least by-pass the need of extra plug-ins and the need to keep track of the data constantly.

yes that is it. The problem with sliders is that I do not take clicked points in the rhino interface.

I took a look at your file. Itā€™s a bit ā€¦ messy :smiley: I didnā€™t went fully threw it, but if I compare your Outcome with the amount of work, I think there went something wrong, respectifly there is a much easier way.
And that I had French in School was Long time ago :smiley: So maybe you try to explain, what you are trying to achieve

For example it could look like:

The two steps after, doesnā€™t do anything. So could be removed.

rƃĀ©seau_re.gh (231.9 KB)

Donā€™t understand that. You wanted to use sliders, just make every Point after the other.
Why you want more work than it is ?

I want to make a long profile for a buried pipeline. I grab a series of points, which will be at a certain depth. Depending on the terrain, I already have to start adjusting the depths (thatā€™s why I want to move some points in Z). If my layout is right the first time, I ā€œbakeā€. If modification, I must be able to find my points and to add some. I must also be able to adjust the position of my points (offset in X and Y).
I threw myself into something sturdy I think ā€¦

You make it yourself more complicated than needed.
Last attempt to help you.
Thats how you can create from your initial Points, your top and bottom curve. With three sliders, x,y,z. Nothing more needed

If you still want to do every Point step by step, internalize data etc. Than I give up.
rƃĀ©seau_re1.gh (228.4 KB)

Yes, I changed with the gene pool. I did not know this tool. It works very well ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I told you like 10 posts ago ā€¦

1 Like

Yes ā€¦ I did not understand how this component workedā€¦

Although it would be definitely a nice feature to save up positional setups and reinstate it at any time, I also like to say that its also a matter of careful and thoughtful work(-flows).

I use some software which allows me to go back only 1 step in history, which seems impossible to work with when being used to nearly any modern software.
However in reality it actually improved my method of work and now Iā€™m not so afraid anymore in dismissing even good solutions for finding better ones. Now I cycle so much, that I can always make three setups which satisfy best solutions. Managing three different input geometry only, which is doable with native gh functionality.

Another, even more important aspect: Grasshopper does not replace manual modelling. You can automate the creation of repetitive elements, you can use it for analysis/optimisation or you can apply complex algorithm to your model, but you will never beat manual modelling.
So what Iā€™m saying is, do as much as possible with precise modelling and only use Grasshopper for tasks impossible to do in Rhino.

1 Like