Impossible to modify bloc occurences of which the scale is not uniform

Hello. I use Rhino in french, here is the original version for this warning message : “Impossible de modifier des occurences de bloc dont l’échelle n’est pas uniforme”.

This is the result of a dwg file exported as dxf from autocad 2012, imported into rhino 5 - 64 bits. The inital dwg contained blocs which are problematic to edit in rhino.

Thank you in advance ^-^

Yes, I have never really understood why this limit is there. A warning I can understand, but I am sure they have some reasons.

The workaround is to insert a new block and edit that one, that will update the un uniformely scaled block too, then you can delete the “new” block.

I see. Ok thank you Holo.

(Dale Fugier) #4

A block instance is (basically) made up of a collection of geometry, which is shared by other block instances, and a transformation.

There are certain 4x4 transformations that require the underlying geometry to be significantly modified in order for the transformation to be successful. Generally, this involves convert non-NURBS geometry into NURBS geometry. Modifying the underlying geometry of block instances is frowned upon. Thus, you get the message with is the basis of this thread.

Hope this helps.

(Willem Derks) #5

Suppose I have a box as a block.
Now I transform an instance of that block to be completely flat in one direction.
That is a valid transformation but what to do when entering block edit mode?
If I add a curve to the flat box; how is it going to be positioned in a “untransformed” block?
Transformations can be such that they are a one-way operation, this will make it impossible to edit that block-instance in a unambiguous way.

-Willem

I see, the “unconverted” geometry makes sense, and the flattening a 3D block is one thing I would never have thought of doing. So that makes sense too. Thanks both of you!

That said, I would like to see a “Do you want to edit a 1:1 block instance?” question for V6 then.

(Esc) #8

Yes, that limitation is super painful in some scenes.

We can understand that it’s impossible to do in-place editing of block instance, with some kind of transformation.

However, there should be a way to edit the un-transformed original block definition. It could be accessible in the Block Manager, with a “Edit Definition” button. This way, the edit would not be related to a specific instance.

On a large scene, having to copy and reset transformation on every block that needs to be modified, is really painful.

(Pascal Golay) #9

Hello - you can always insert a new instance of the block, and BlockEdit that, and then delete it.

-Pascal