Import SketchUp file bugs

@tim Can you please take a look at this when you get the chance?

Hi @jespizua we are looking into this. I just twiddled a setting on Discourse and you should now be able to upload SketchUp (.skp) files. Sorry about that: it was an oversight.

Can you please upload the original file so we have a complete picture?

Also please navigate to Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More info… > Copy to clipboard and paste the content back into a reply here.

Hi @dan, thanks for taking a look at this. Due to the lack of third party render support in mac Rhino, I heavily rely in sketchUp format to render my projects. I can imagine many mac users doing the same thing, that’s why I think it’s important to have a solid exchange format, and sketchUp has become the most used format among architects, at least that’s my experience.

Here you have the original sketchUp file testingOriginalSketchUp.skp (141.7 KB)

1 Like

Another bug I found it’s with sketchUp’s components. When I open Rhino’s block manager, all SketchUp components have been properly translated to blocks but if I try to insert one the those blocks, the scale factor is completely wrong.

Rhino info:
Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.4 WIP (5E334w)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/RhinoWIP.app
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
WIP expiration: 19 January 2018
Language: en-ES (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G1036)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 1440 x 900
Displays: Color LCD (221dpi 2x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.17.5 355.10.05.45f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 8x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

@dan Sorry to bother you again, but I found more issues when importing sketchUp files into Rhino. This time it’s related to cameras. Imported sketchUp files that contains Scenes (sketchUp’s scenes are the equivalent to Rhino’s named views). After importing the file, scenes are translated into named views, but when you activate those named views, they will not correspond with its original camera location, they’re completely off.

Also, seems like named views are not exported to sketchUp scenes when exporting within Rhino back to sketchUp. Would be very handy to have this feature too. Currently, I export from Rhino to Cinema 4D, and C4D support .skp files with camera info. So been able to export .skp files with camera info would be very handy when trying to match technical views with renders… Hope this makes sense.

Here you have a .skp file containing scenes.cameras.skp (145.2 KB)

Thanks @jespizua for the files and all the supporting information. This helps us get a more complete picture. We’ll take a look at this, the block scale factor, and the camera issue.

Maxwell and Keyshot have plugins for Rhino for Mac.

Any resolution to this? We are still facing the same issue with named views not aligning with sketchup views. Our Firm, HMC, has committed to be 100% Rhino by the end of the year and resolving the exchange would be great. We have put together a process we call S.T.R.C. (SketchUp to rhino conversion) and having the cameras in alignment would be great for those projects just working on updating renderings.

You are replying to a 4 year old thread that may seem similar but was for a different version of Rhino and and a different version of SketchUp.

Instead of hiding your message in this old thread, it would be far better to post a new message, describing the problem you’re trying to solve, and include a simple sample file and instructions to follow to reproduce the issue.

Then we’ll have something to work with.
Thanks

Hi @noah.kelly Sorry, this had slipped off our radar. I apologize.

It looks like @jespizua provided a skp file above to demonstrate the issue and this never got tested on our end, as far as I can tell. A few quick questions that will likely save us a bit of time:

• Is this something you experience only with SketchUp and Rhino on Mac? Or is this happening on Windows too? (As far as you know)?
  • Is this still relatively easy to reproduce with the cameras.skp file above? If not, it will definitely save us some time getting this logged and chased down if we could get a dead-simple sample file illustrating this problem with improper alignment (only a couple of us have SketchUp installed at all).

Sorry for the delay on this. @tim Did you ever look into this?

-Dan

@dan - no worries at all. We are experiencing this primarily on windows machines. I no longer have SketchUp on my machine and am unable to see if I can replicate the issue with the above file. I have been working on getting HMC Architects to fully adopt rhino and will be finished with this process in Dec of 2021. Thanks for the response. Please let me know if you need example files and I can reach out to the team who is actually working on the file conversions.

Hi Noah,

Actually, an example file would be welcome. The geometry in the file can be simple but it needs to be distinct enough to determine what is up, down, left, right, etc. You get the idea. Just a box or a sphere would not be helpful.

Also, while I do have SketchUp (SU) here, I am SU challenged. A picture of how each view that is in the file looks in SU would be handy.

Tim

@tim José provided this :point_up: file earlier, but my NFR of SketchUp is expired, so I was unable to see if the problem was glaringly obvious or not. I agree, getting a screenshot of the expected vs the actual behavior would be nice too.

After a little more digging it looks like the only issue maybe a difference in lens length? I can provide a file, but would prefer to send it direct and not hosted on the forum.

You can upload it here and put my email address as the recipient. Rhino - Upload to Support

What’s the email address?

Sorry, wasn’t thinking. Use what’s there for the recipient and say “For Tim Hemmelman” and include the forum URL in the comments.

Builds on or later than 7.11.21238.11001 will be better at converting SketchUp scenes to Rhino named views. Details on https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-65399

Since you have been digging into SKP imports please see my earlier posts with unanswered suggestions.