I'm trying to write the first stage of a script that generates support structures for 3D printed objects and could really use some help

Hello, I’m a university student and am in a situation where I have to create the g.code to 3d print my own support structures.

Basically, as the image shows, the first step is to generate a brep under the overhangs and undersides of objects. There have already been point based versions of this, for example here: Volume between two surfaces – Grasshopper where a series of points is projected. However, rather than just a rough series of points, I would like to create precise regions within which I can ‘trim’ my support structure (which will be another problem I’ll eventually have to deal with).

The second stage, if we can work out the first (i’ve tried searching for 3 hours and came up with nothing) is to further divide this region and create a buffer zone between the support and precise printed object (shown in the second part of the illustration).

Thank you so much for your help.

Mikail

MShadow (Mesh Shadow)

3 Likes

4 Likes

JOSEPH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can’t begin to expressive how appreciative I am of the time you took from your day to help a random stranger. Will just test this script out right now!!

1 Like

Well, don’t get too excited, it’s only an idle doodle showing how the base perimeter curve cast by MShadow might be used to create “support structures”. It is far from a definitive solution to the general problem of creating low density lattice supports for 3D printing.

Now that I think about it, a lattice is similar to this scaffolding model structure I did three years ago on the old forum:

If you had posted a model of your own I would have used your shape instead of a cube and replied with a working model instead of just an image.

4 Likes

4 Likes

What is BANG! ???

Explode tree

Scaffolding_2017Mar13d.gh (35.2 KB)
Scaffolding_2017Feb17e.gh (28.0 KB)

Many thanks :slight_smile:

How should I reference my object? Pt? Crv? What are the for?

This code is seven years old, I remember nothing about it so would have to do what you must do: understand it :exclamation: :wink:

OK. No problem for me if you yourself don’t understand it :slight_smile:

It’s been seven years since I understood it. More important really is if you understand it?

Obviously it still works so what’s the problem? I have no incentive to even try. :zzz:

It works, no doubt - if you now how to connect it to the object.
I have no clue, so I give up.
I does not matter.

I can easily change the object in both models. What’s the trouble?

Two slider values will need to be adjusted if the object is a different size:

• Spacing ‘D’ and
  • ‘minLen’

The trouble is in what component is the model set (set one geometry?)

In both of these models, the geometry (vase) is created from scratch, then rotated and moved a bit. So in Scaffolding_2017Feb17e.gh, it would be the output of Move in the “dark pink” (fuchsia) group.

So this:

Becomes this:

If necessary, post your geometry and I’ll make it work. But it really isn’t that hard to understand it.

Thanks! I’ll try to replace your object from the pink area with a real mesh from Rhino.

Mesh :question: Looking… might work OK with a mesh, though the object you are replacing is not a mesh. Be sure to remember the slider values. If your mesh is substantially larger, small slider values could create too many scaffold “rays”.