Ies inside rhino (cycles)

hi all,
it’s possible in some way use the IES lights distribution profile in rhino rendering (cycles)?
thanks,
roy

2 Likes

Moved to Serengeti category.

Maybe @andy or @nathanletwory know about this

This has not been hooked up yet.

Logged feature request: RH-58525

1 Like

We don’t have plans to introduce IES lights in Rhino 7.

ok, thanks

Hello, is there any chance that something close comes to it, IES are so crucial for renders like Enscape, or if cycles has any ambition for architecture, really missing those out in our practice projects…thanks

Hi - I’m not sure if this is a question, and if so, what it is…
As was stated in this thread, support for IES texture files is on the wish list but won’t be a feature in Rhino 7.
-wim

many disappointed, cycle is support, but they can’t make on rhino 7

Sorry it was a question, thanks for answering, it seems counter intuitive to introduce pbr materials ( which is great) if the lighting stays the same, we are an architecture practice and have been struggling with this for years. Every other software is proposing it, even some free ones, would this be potentially supported after R7 in future updates?

Thanks

In v7 lights have fall-off, compared to no fall-off at all in v6 and earlier.

Is there any plans to support IES lighting natively for Rhino 8? If PBR materials are supported then it makes sense to have accurate lighting.

1 Like

Raising this up. Need IES profiles to improve the light profile of Rhino renders with Enscape

2 Likes

why not both?

Lights in v7 can now have fall-off or no fall-off… I believe default is still no fall-off.

But the question was about IES profiles, not about the fall off…what does it means your reply, Nathan? Maybe with fall off it’s possible to simulate the IES real lights? Thanks, Roy

I replied to @l1407 who replied to my post that says

In v7 lights have fall-off, compared to no fall-off at all in v6 and earlier.

To your question:

No, they’re different things, although the fall-off types should help with getting better lighting than in pre-Rhino 7 versions.

So the right reply is that after 2 years IES are not still available…(anyway I’m an octane render for rhino user so no more prob to me…),
Roy

Indeed, there is no GUI support for using IES files in lights, so no sense in hooking that up either. Cycles itself is capable, though, so whenever IES support for lights in Rhino as worked on I can hook it up for Raytraced and Rhino Render.