HumanUI - "Tabbed View" Design Patterns

Hey all,

I’m trying to create a tabbed view with “next” and “previous” buttons. I’m running into two issues, which have me wondering if this is an anti-pattern. Thoughts on an alternate pattern at the bottom.

Number 1…

In the “Add elements” node, the added element shows as “Tab Control with 4 tabs” and I can’t seem to drill down into it any further than that. To say it another way, I can listen to the “Tabbed View” itself, but not the stuff on the tabs. Is there a secret to accessing the child elements? I see in the github there used to be a component for this but it was deprecated (link). Does anyone knows why this was taken out? I may try copying it into a C# component and seeing if I can get it to work…

Number 2…

As shown, I can bypass issue number 1 by wiring up the Elements directly (instead of retrieving them after they go through the “Add Elements” component). However, in the “Set Tabbed View” component, there does not seem to be an “activate” button, meaning that I would need each set of “next” and “previous” buttons to have a live listener, which would then plug into a dispatch to tell the UI which page to jump to… Is this the right way of doing this? It seems like it would be simpler to have the “tabbed view” and “Set Tab Index” be fixed values, and plug a listener directly into an “activate” input.

Alternate pattern…
Fake the tabbed view by putting everything in a single page and then toggling visibility/ effects so it seems like things are tabbed. Is this easier in the long run?

One final thought/ question…
Is it possible to name elements without using the XAML component to create them wholecloth? Being able to implement a naming convention would make it simpler to do pattern matching against lists of elements to hide/ show/ query them.

1 Like