How to straighten control points row

How to straighten control points row without drawing a line and moving points to it:

Hi @mdesign
Align has a ToLine option and it will accept clicks as input, so select the contrl points you want to align, run Align and then click ToLine and select the the start and end points of your (imaginary) straight line - can be any point(s) in space, eg. end snaps or - as I often use - the first and last point in the row of selected control points.
You can also use the gumball by moving it (ctrl+drag in windows) to the very first control point and rotating/re-orienting it (again using Ctrl+rotate handles) towards the very last control point - and then click the appropriate scale handle and type in 0. This will “squish” the control points one axis at a time, which can be handy somtimes. See video :slight_smile:

HTH, Jakob

3 Likes

Thanks a lot.

What if I would like to have points in equal space in between? Is that possible?

use the command distribute with option direction

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

Distribute doesn’t work with control points. It doesn`t detect them as objects. Is there any other way to distribute control points equally (in surfaces and curves)?

Hi @mdesign
I very much agree that it’s a big oversigt, that distribute doesn’t work on control points - this was recently discussed here as well. @pascal, can this be made into a wish list item if not already there? Both for curve and subd control points - it would be a very nifty feature for sub-d, I think :slight_smile:
-Jakob

3 Likes

Hi Jakob -

I couldn’t find open items on the list, so I added RH-70352 Distribute: Allow control points / vertices as input
-wim

3 Likes

i am sorry i had not anticipated that, i had simply tried with a couple of points. good that @wim is very progressive and has tossed it on the list already.

i am afraid there is only one little hack i have for now which is move with the one shot osnaps between. set to a hotkey or alias which works in commands either it is pretty useful, in this specific instance you would have to align each CP individually. making a line using divide to create the amount of points then manually align might be just as fast idk.

1 Like

Thanks to: @Normand , @wim and @encephalon .

I`ve asked about that because I use it all the time during subd modeling in Modo (but in Rhino I would like to use it with surface/curve control points and subd cage vertices):

This is a linear align tool with option uniform (on /off):
linear_align_uniform

The linear align tool also has one helpful option - ‘screen axis’:

linear_align_uniform_screen_axis

This allows doing linear alignment (uniform or not) but only in the screen axis direction (front view in this case). I use that option also a lot for straightening points only in one direction.

1 Like

Pascal to the rescue, there’s a view option in one of this scripts (I also used this a lot coming from Alias):

1 Like

Is it possible with that script to pick up a few points from a many (from one row), straighten them up and relax them (equal space between them)?

This should be something similar to Align->ToLine and then deselect the first and last point and after that MoveUVN->Smooth:
straight_and_relax

I`ve found now that I can do with Align and Smooth (MoveUVN).

RH-70352 is fixed in the latest WIP.

3 Likes