How to setup a simple example?

Hi all,

in Bongo 2, I have problems to set up the following, see file.

There are two objects, Slider 1 and Slider 2.
They are connected by two lines to circles.
B_Test.3dm(71.4 KB)

I want to move around and rotate the Slider objects, the rest must follow.

But I really do not how to start, I didn’t touch Bongo for a long time.
The piston video didn’t make me smarter…

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Dear Bongo developers,

please…
Or just tell me it is not possible.

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Charles,

Yes, it’s possible to do with the help of Bongo 2.0.
Please see attached example.

example_file 001.3dm(121.8 KB)

Hi Marika,

thank you.

But your file seems to require a newer Bongo than I have.
So it doesn’t load the Bongo data:

My version is this Beta 17: Bongo_20_Beta_x64_English_20130423

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

I just released Beta 18, please download and install it. Then the model should work.

Hi Marika!

Great example(example_file01) of the animation. But being a novice I would like to know which part was actually moved when creating the animation?

Additionally, whenever I use constraints for a object, the Manager under the Pivot Constraints box only enables the first two “keep pivot location” options and never the “Constrain to Object”

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks PhilipR

PhilipR,

The part that moves is the line (object 0), and the line has two dots (object 13 and 14) as children. The two dots are the connecting points for the IK-chains.

The Constraints to Object is enabled, if you look closely the Select Target Object -button is activated. Press the button and you can select the object you want to have as your constraint goal.

Once you have selected a target object the selection dot will move down to Constraint to object.

Thanks Marika! I understand this now with the constraints to object.
I see than when I drag this line with two points, the whole animation
works. But I also noticed that I can drag this line to a location where
the object constraints do not meet the goal. My question is how this line was originally moved to record the animation so it moves within the constraint goals of the total animation. This line does not have any constraints to path or direction.
I also posted a problem with how to animate a spring compression between to objects. Without animation, the 1D scaling demonstrates
the action I want. But with animation enabled, bongo seems to only apply 3D scaling. Is this something I do not understand or is this a restraint with bongo.
Thank you for your input.

Hi Marika! I did figure out the scaling for the spring when animated solo but how do I cause this spring to compress when animating between two objects when the movement of one object causes the compression.
Thanks again!

My question is how this line was originally moved to record the
animation so it moves within the constraint goals of the total
animation. This line does not have any constraints to path or
direction.

The line has only rotation and motion animation data on it. If you have a look at the first post in this thread there was a request for getting from the original to the sample, so I knew the start and the end point of where the line was supposed to be and that the goal would be reached based on the drawings.
If you don’t know if the goal will be reached you have to either calculate it first, to make sure the ik -chain will reach the goal or you just try it out and if it doesn’t reach you have to change it.