How to select Breps skipped during dwg export?

how can I select breps skipped during export to .dwg?
I need this to run Mesh command on those guys, and re export to .dwg again.
Capture

Hello -see if SelBadObjects rings up that many polysurfaces.

-Pascal

Hello,
I have the same problem. Unfortunately, there is no bad objects. What can I do to find the missing element?

Hello - the long way would be to export half at a time to narrow it down. If you export all the breps and post a file with those or send to tech@mcneel.com (with a link back here in your comments) , I’ll see if I can figure out which one is failing.

-Pascal

Hello from the future: Thanks but what is the short way?

Hehe. But seriously doesn´t Rhino know what objects have been skipped? If it´s able to count them it must be able to list them right? Or at least make copies and lay them over. Or put a “(!)” dot over them. With Rhino 8 leaning towards drafting shoudn´t this issue be addressed?

In any case have a good day and continue your awesome work :wink:

3 Likes

I have aso wondered why there is no way to select or see more detail on which brep is bad. Especially when its a large drawing with many components and nothing is flagged as bad by SelBadObjects.

Bumping this thread again. I am attempting to export objects into revit for drawing creation. Upon export, it says 77 objects were skipped. There are no bad objects in the file when using “SelBadObjects”. How do I identify which objects didn’t export? Once I identify the skipped objects, how do I learn why they were skipped?

Hi -

That was explained by Pascal a bit earlier in this thread. You’ll have to export half of the objects and see if they export. If they do, the problem object is among the other half. Keep exporting smaller groups until you find the culprit.

You’d have to send us the object(s) so that we can run it through a debugger to see where things go wrong. We would then be able to tell you why they were skipped - and, more importantly, attempt to make it so that they aren’t skipped in the future.
-wim

Hello,

As stated earlier, Rhino can count these objects, meaning it can identify them. Can this list be surfaced in the future? I have 100k+ objects in my file so finding the specific 77 will be difficult. Quick maths says I will have to do approximately 13 rounds of half exports to find the bad files. I don’t have that kind of time in a professional setting. Is it an unreasonable ask to ask for such a tool to quickly identify them?

Is this a tool you can give to the community, either as an applet or as a command in rhino? The general lack of information makes this most frustrating because we are trying to move fast then something like this happens, grinds our process to a halt, and we have no idea why. I don’t what to have to find a way to share a 6 gb file every time I can’t export.

Hello - if you can do that once, and send or post the objects that do not go out, I can try to cook up something that can find those particuar types of objects. I’ll ask the developer if there is a general category of objects that are always skipped.

@cameronbehning - the developer can probably make something helpful in the longer term, but he asks of an example file with skipped objects - smaller is better. With that I can also probably make something at least somewhat helpful in the shorter term.

RH-77693 Export DWG: identify skipped objects

-Pascal

@pascal I have sent an email with a link to my file. I included a link to this thread in the email to tech@mcneel.com. I could only make the file so small, so it’s still about 1gb. Let me know if y’all find anything.

Hi Cameron – thanks, I’ll take a look. FYI, the deveoper added some code for the 8.1 release, not the initial release of 8.0 that should help. There will be an advanced option, off by default, but when enabled, and on a post-selected Export (i.e. start the command with no selection and then select the obects) will select any objects that are not successfully exported to DWG. We can make it fancier in the future but it should ease some of the pain. Meantime I’ll see if I can make something that at least helps, in the shorter term.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks Pascal! I think the most important thing I’m looking for is understanding why these objects aren’t exporting. All tools available don’t give any answers or identify potential problems. No bad objects are in the file and there are no non-manifold edges. I’m not sure what other things could be wrong, but providing a work flow or applet to identify non-apparent issues with surfaces would be very helpful.

Yep, understood - finding them should be a start, you can inspect or send us those and we can drill down.
I’ll see what I can see in your file as well but, warning, I am on the road for the next two weeks or so, so may or may not get a chance right away.

-Pascal

Enjoy your Travels! I’ll see if I can find a few examples of specific problem objects and send those along too. Feel free to respond via email as well.

Would it be possible to also document the conditions which lead to the export of an object failing?

Hi Nathan - my guess is it will be possible at least in general.

-Pascal

Hi Cameron - the file you sent, if I have the right one , Surfaces.3dm, all exports with no skips here in the latest V7, 8 and even 9…

-Pascal

I just tried exporting again from the same file with the same result of 71 skipped objects. Do you have any idea how I can resolve this on my end?

RH-77693 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 1 Release Candidate