How to find coordinate points quickly and have them update automatically

I recelty found out how to place a point and attach a leader to that point and have the x,y coordinates displayed but they read out as feet’.decimals when I want it to read as feet’-inches" is there anyway to do this? I am hoping for a feature similar to autoCAD where you can drag your mouse to a point and the software provides you with the x,y coordinaates and also updates the coordinates automatically when you move the point.

Please help!

I think you are talking about two different things.

If you go to Options>Units>Model under the “Distance display” section you can set it to “Fractional”.
Doing this you will be able to see your values with fractions in the status bar any time a command is requiring you to input a coordinate/point:
2022-06-09 23_01_51-

Also, you can properly set up the style of your annotation to display length units in fractions:
2022-06-09 23_05_06-Window
(… if you edit the control points of the leader you can change the location relative to its origin…)

2022-06-09 23_07_10-Window
this ^ is the property of a single annotation object, but you can set up similarly the global annotation style of your .3dm file.

Capture
I want it to look like this and have it produced automatically if possible

Hi Spenser - this is probably scriptable, I’ll have a look.

@Spenser_McCoy - we can make this fancier - but have a try, to see if we are going the right way -
LeaderXY.py (731 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

You’ll need to have an annotation style that is set to underline leaders as current.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal.

How do I open the file? It says that it is not compatible with Rhino.

-Spemnser

Hi Spenser - see my post above, it has instructions for running the script file.

@Spenser_McCoy - any luck with that?

-Pascal

Hello,

The script works perfectly. Thank you very much!

I am wondering if there is a way for me to edit the text to display distance in feet and inches.

-SM

Hi Spenser - that should follow the current annotation style, if I did it right.

-Pascal

The current annotation style shows as a decimal point rather than in feet and inches with fractions

I have included an image of how your script appears above my text annotation.

-SM

Yeah, you’re right, I did not finish the job - I’ll see what I can do…

-Pascal

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

-SM