How to construct surface (where fillet fails)?

Hi,

I ran into a problem with a model I’m currently working on, where Filet Edge deletes some faces of my solid. Now, I know that this is nothing special in Rhino, but I’m having trouble constructing the filet by hand.
Here’s the part of the model that gives me headaches:

I’ve tried sweeping with two rails, but couldn’t really get it to work nicely. Lofting is not really an option since it produces a straight slope, and I want it to look like the rest of the filets.

What would be a better strategy for this case?

Thanks.

filet_fail.3dm (5.1 MB) [Rhino 6 file]

take a look of some examples like this:
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/advancedfilleting

1 Like

Hi @diff-arch

I had a quick look over your model, I’m not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve.
What exactly about the 2rails did not meet your expectation?

I’ve uploaded the file for what I would have thought you wanted with the 2rails, were you getting a different result?

filet_fail Edited_v1.3dm (2.0 MB)

Sry I don’t have a Mac, so I hope this isn’t a Mac only issue.

Also I reckon this straight line might have caused your fillets disappearing, as the radius would have been interrupted when filleting, as it was too big for the surface.

2 Likes

First of all, thanks for your replies @DiegoKrause and @nicholasm785!

Exactly what you show above! I’m pretty tired, since I’ve worked all day, and I must have overlooked that one of my cross section curves was off. My original file is pretty messy with lots of curves, even duplicate ones. Rookie mistake… :flushed:

Don’t worry! These days Mac and Windows Rhino are pretty similar in terms of core functionality.
I don’t get why they don’t do a general Rhino discussion forum, and only Windows and Mac categories for things like bug reporting.

Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out!

Glad I could help @diff-arch.

Just to let you know, I used the rebuild cross sections option on the 2rails to make it a bit cleaner.

1 Like

OK, do you also end up with an open polysurface, when you join the surfaces? Would you know how to fix that? I need to get back to a solid/closed polysurface.

You had 2 ‘bad objects’ on each end that I had to remake, also 4 fillets (also highlighted).
I remade that and joined it together.

The only naked edges lefts are the ones I got with the original files on the other corners.

Have a go at remaking these, if you’re lucky just explode the model and mirror the missing faces from the rebuilt corner.

Hope this helps :smiley:

So sorry forgot to upload the file.
filet_fail Edited_v2.3dm (1.7 MB)
Edit:[getting a bit late I think]

Thank you, @nicholasm785, for staying up late to help me and your tremendous shared insights. Have a nice Sunday!

1 Like