How to Close Complex/Curved Polysurface

Hi there, appreciate any professional help in advance from this forum if anyone knows how to close this curved polysurface?

I am intended to 3D print (STL file) this model but there are naked edges that I cannot solve and resulting in bad meshes.
File to download here: https://we.tl/t-aipFDpCdO4

Thanks.

Kind regards,
LJ

1 Like

Can you provide the curves which you used to create the shape?

And are you working with Rhino 5, 6 or 7?

1 Like

You could use Sweep1 to create the basic shape and the only real problem is the patch you created…

The patch does not follow the swept wall precisely enough so you can never join the whole thing.

Attached is a rebuilt model, moved to XY origin.

Basin_R5.3dm (947.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Martin, you are a godsend! Thank you so much for the help and even rebuilding the model!

Noted on the [sweep1] command. If you don’t mind some follow-up questions below as I am still learning:

1. How do you extract the curve from the polysurface for sweeping? Was it thru [clipping plane] then [make2D] from the section?
  2. Noticed the base of the basin was constructed separately, how was it constructed? or it was constructed with the basin wall? I have tried both [sweep1] and [sweep2] for the base only but cannot achieve the result you did.

Thank you.

Thank you :slight_smile:

The base is a part of a circle removed from another one and the corners rounded.

The section is built from scratch. Always try using as few points as possible.

The inside surface where you used a patch is also not perfect. I used DupBorder to extract the edge of the Sweep1. I added a circle and lofted the three curves.

1 Like

RhinoFileVersion plugin displays Rhino file version number in the command line when you open a file. For example: “Opening a Rhino 7 format file.” You can download this free plugin from here: RhinoFileVersion | Food4Rhino

2 Likes