How smart is the Internet?

Is the Internet a super AI?
It has nods linked like neuro network. It has layers and feed tons of information.
Is there any reasons that the internet cannot be an AI? Or it already happened but human don’t aware it existance. Because the Internet is the size of the Earth. We are too small to see it. How do ants looks at humans.

Hi Zhuangjia777, I put this in Meta forum category. Interesting concepts, although not super relevant to this forum.

An AI is a prediction model based on a defined dataset
The internet cannot be an AI because there is no structured dataset, just data, and It makes no predictions.

1 Like

its a good question, since the internet is a huge resource of memory, though as pointed out it is rather a lethargic brain with no real active function other than crawling more memory. it sure knows a lot which by definition at least tested in iq tests should indeed be valid as some sort of artificial intelligence. but the question is, does ai have to be creative to be be considered a valid source of intelligence. the closest i could assume would be more creative in associative thinking would be the google or any similar search by photo function, though thinking about it again using the search function does nothing less… and thinking further what more does intelligence like us human do other than gathering and associating memory. if creation which is based on given, researchable and understandable data, then there is no artificial intelligence at all, it all is just a resource.

i assumed for the round 10 years i know the discourse now that the Meta category was meant for exactly such stuff

1 Like

Can the internet makes a goal by itself? Such as make humans’s life better? Because we make the goal of making life better.
And then it creates an ideal garden for human to live, summarise the knowledge of good and evil by observing humans data.

Make me think of the last scene of the Ghost in the Shell.
“The net is vast and infinite”

Not sure if the internet has its own mind, but definitely the vast and infinite net becomes its Growth medium. The soil cannot leave the plant, the plant cannot leave the soil, until the plant has its own hands, feet and mind.

Ghost In The Shell - The net is vast and infinite (youtube.com)