How many folks using substance suite with rhino?

Yes, I prefer a game engine “Lightmaps” ready. I do not use lightmaps (in Unity) to increase fps and because I often move lights real-time (shadows) and takes too much lifetime. I never know what final destination can end up for the object so I try to build the textures as much as flexible as possible (I mean yes Lightmaps ready). For example, for now, I do not use UDIMs UV setup. For a hero object asset, I separate it into pieces with different UVs using 1:1 space. Painter handles well using tri-planar projection instead of default UV projection. Lightmaps are very nice but if the original textures are ok, real-time (and RTX) it’s good enough for now. Future real-time lightmaps will be awesome.

I bake AO in Substance Painter or better in Blender (using to Blender) and import it into Painter when starting. This also let you understand if there are overlapping UVs. Put a small amount of AO into the final color texture to simulate some radiosity shadow (in case AO is not used). I use also a AO texture on the real-time material for micro details shadow. And since object surfaces are always dirty with big patterns [inspiring source] I prefer using UVs 1:1 and increasing resolution. If it is 200-foot superyacht deck I isolate the sector mesh where VR will be to increase the size of each individual UV( only for that sector). Using a secondary tiled texture inside the shader for mixing color textures doesn’t work well for me because of bad color mixing (at least in Unity PBR) but yes for the bump texture.

1 Like