Hops error

I just installed a newer version of Rhino 7 and wanted to give hops a try.
I faced problems with gh using a python component, so I wanted to narrow down what’s not working.

At my machine just forwarding a number from an input to the output somehow only works with even numbers.

When there is an error, no output can be seen in the compute server.

Can someone replicate the error? Should I reinstall Rhino?

example_error.gh (4.1 KB)
num_in_out.gh (2.6 KB)

2021-06-18 09_42_15-Window

Hops Version 0.6.2

Rhino 7 SR7 2021-6-9 (Rhino 7, 7.7.21160.05001, Git hash:master @ d2161989109d5dacba531310b5d345ce6f4da9f6)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-06-09
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro T2000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 6-5-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 443.32
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-5-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-5-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4332
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Work but the file is very slow and take long time to loaded and run in Grasshopper

something slightly similar happens to me.

i created a file that takes a number of spheres and slices them. when run without hops, it works well with any number of spheres. if i run it with Hops, it only shows the results for an even number of spheres. so for example, if the number is 4 it displays 4 spheres. if the number is 5, it displays 4. weird

I can’t replicate this; seems pretty odd. I wouldn’t reinstall Rhino, but I would see what happens if you shut down Rhino and temporarily rename your components folder to make sure some downloaded component isn’t doing something odd.

8ms isn’t unexpected. There is always going to be the overhead of packaging data up, sending it to another process and unpacking the results.

Very weird. Can you send me the definition that does this?

You should be getting the following error in this case

I don’t understand this. Could you send me a definition with this type of error?

I can’t replicate this; seems pretty odd. I wouldn’t reinstall Rhino, but I would see what happens if you shut down Rhino and temporarily rename your components folder to make sure some downloaded component isn’t doing something odd.

I had no components installed that could have influended the result.
Even though I was able to replicate the error after some restarts last week, it seems like it works as expected today :thinking:.

sure, here it is
CPU intensive - spheres sections.gh (19.7 KB)

so for example, using the previous one i sent:
the result from the Section blcok is a curve, but i connected to a curve output (correct) and to a line output (incorrect data type), which produces a general error message on the hops block:

CPU intensive - spheres sections.gh (14.7 KB)

well in my case i got this:
|390x253.719323673465
and after clicking yes:

Thanks, I’ll see if I can improve the error message for this.

Just so you know, you can hook up inputs in your definition so it is workable when used in regular old Grasshopper. These inputs turn into default values when run as a hops component. I modified your definition to help illustrate what I’m trying to explain.
CPU intensive - spheres sections.gh (9.2 KB)

Edit: I was able to improve the error message reported. This will be fixed in the next version of Hops which I’m hoping to ship this week.

1 Like

that’s super helpful for debugging, thanks for letting me know!

by the way, about the error when there is no connection to the remote compute server: would it be possible to have an option to run it locally while there is no connection to the server?

Wouldn’t you want to know that the external server is down? I guess we could add a warning message bubble…

1 Like

yeah, it’d be great to know that its not running in the server but at least give the option to have it run anyway

Ok, I added this to the wish list at

1 Like

I have no idea how a url to vimeo is trying to get hit. Do you?

i didnt even notice that! no idea actually. it is possible that i had a vimeo tab open at the time as i was watching some of the videos about hops but no idea how that could be connected.

i tried to replicate it and now i dont get that window with the error, just this warning:

maybe the first one is unrelated, but it did happen when i tried to do it.

thanks for this!

You should get better error messages with Hops 0.7.1 which I just published to the package manager

1 Like

amazing thank you!

Hey. I was working on a script. It contained a for loop. But Hops is not able to generate the shape I wanted. I think it has some problems and issues with for loops. Do you know what I have to do with that?

Hops runs fine with script components that contain for loops. It must be something else that is causing Hops to fail. Do you have a file you could share to show what is not working?