Holomark2_R6

I am using just like that. I do not play games so i just need a stable driver with no worries about.
But again. I think i have build a good machine but the holo scores compared from other users that have a more budget friendly hardware is strange.
I need to figure it out. or perhaps this less scores is due to the vray next installed?
or need some suggestions to do.

i have same GPU but lower score - why might that be?

Something is odd, Your meshing is at 7 sec vs 2, while reduce mesh is at 8 vs 6. So even though the 4790 obviously should be slower than a 9700, it is not evenly slower. Why I do not know.
If you compare the GPU scores you’ll see that some are better on Your system, while others are slower (mainly due to the cpu speed, but I am not sure why GPU1 is at only 164 fps)

Maybe a bios upgrade could help, maybe … HEY… you have Windows 8!! That is oooold. So I presume Your Windows version is loong in the tooth, that would affect things, both in good and bad ways. (Why didn’t you upgrade to Windows 10 when it was free?)

1 Like

Maybe, but I bet Rhino still works after a Windows Update.

2 Likes

But surely the gpu scores should be similar? Mine is 202,000 and the other is 273,000… that is a massive difference… surely Windows 8 can’t be the issue…

Pure single core cpu speed will affect the GPU score if it bottle necks it with feeding it data too slow. And CPU’s have developed a bit in 4 years even though the 9700 only scores about 30% better on single core tests compared to the 4790. And maybe Windows 10 is more efficient on using it too, that I don’t know. But I do know that older OS’s tend to slow down a bit over time. I had a dual core Windows 7 machine that I upgraded to Windows 10 (kept all settings and apps), and this used to lag when I ran VR apps. But when I did a clean install of W10 it performed much better and has no lagging no what so ever.

Maybe, but why not? It’s an older OS and Windows 7 was known to be faster than W8. So the differences might lay there. None the less, if you look at the scores one by one you will see that the scores that Counts (fps around your displays refresh rate) then they are comparable.

And the 2D scores are depending on the cpu speed as I belive Rhino is far from stressing the GPU on those.

But this is theoretical speculations of course, so if you really want to figure it out then downlad and install Windows 10 on an extra hdd and boot from it, install the latest drivers and Rhino. (You don’t need a Windows 10 License, using it unregistered is sufficient for testing)

HTH :slight_smile:

Just for some additional info: what you do or have open while the benchmark is running will also impact the scores. If you have many programs open or you’re otherwise interacting with the system you will influence the scores, especially those that are CPU and RAM bound. Before running the benchmark you should close all other programs, including any on your taskbar notification area and any background services you don’t need at that moment.

thank you - i realise my machine is dated now, but has served me well.
with regards to the Nvidia settings, should I remove these and just let rhino sort?

1 Like

ran again with nothing else and did get better result.

1 Like

It still holds it’s ground though! My last workstation was an i7 950 from 2010 since the cpu’s hasn’t changed that much over the last 10 years. And when I got my new laptop just now I went for the 8th gen cpu instead of the 9th so I could spend more on the gpu (they managed to squeeze the rtx 2070 into a thin laptop… :smiley: ) and the difference in those cpu’s are 5% which equals 63 seconds instead of 60 seconds. IMO anything below 20% difference is not noticable IRL.
BUT OS’s tend to be burdend by time and at least do a clean install with the studio drivers where you don’t install any game control centers or what’s it’s name :slight_smile: And last, I don’t use profiles for Rhino any more.

A colleague of mine once benchmarked his finite element simulations when the computer was only doing calculations (at the weekend) vs whilst he was writing journal articles in MS Word. He found the computer was about 30% faster whilst he was using Word!. He did a little digging and realised the low-power settings on Windows were kicking in after 15 minutes of “inactivity” and slowing down his work :smiley:

Like they say; “Measure, don’t guess”.

In another context our management decided to install a fancy 3D graphics screensaver on all the machines in the company, which was forced on after 10 minutes inactivity. It slowed our computational modelling teams by 20% so a CFD simulation which normally ran overnight would need an extra 2 hours in the morning; a simulation which usually took 1 weekend would need an extra half day on Monday ! 3 days of flaming the IT dept led to the management decision being conveniently forgotten about (apologies to the IT manager in question :expressionless: )

1 Like

When doing rendering or simulation of any other form that takes longer time unattended one should never use low-power settings - assuming speed and time are crucial. If anything, a simulation should be set up such that once the job is completed the machine could be turned off (extreme), or maybe restore the low-power settings (not sure if that is possible, who knows).

(:

1 Like

You are both absolutely right, and I should have specified that I was only referring to modelling where a boolean operation that takes 3 seconds will not be noticeably slower if it takes 4, or if you get 40 fps vs 36 fps. But travelling on the road at 100 mps vs 80 mps is a big difference. (but 100 vs is 105 not)

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:
Thank you for the Holomark, it will give me a better idea of what hardware to put in my customer’s PCs for their specific workflow needs. I’ve spent some time looking through the forums for the best hardware recommendations until I’ve stumbled on this knowledge treasure chest of a post :grinning:
I was curious how my own PC will perform in this benchmark (mainly PC tech and enthusiast, I don’t work on Rhino myself). Results achieved on Rhino 6 SR 22 Evaluation (default config), fairly fresh Windows 10 Pro install (2-3 weeks) with suggested NVIDIA control panel configurations.
Hardware is i7-8700k overclocked to 4.9GHz all-cores (0 AVX offset), EVGA Hydro Copper 1080Ti, 32GB of 3000MHz CL15 RAM. All custom watercooled, so it lets the GPU clock very high by it’s own (only CPU is manually OC’ed).
I think for being a last gen PC it still performs quite well. I will soon be making a new workstation for my customer based on Ryzen 7 3900x and I will share the results here in a week or two.

1 Like

Great results,
but your reduce mesh is 12 seconds, compared to @rfollett 8.27 sec on an i7-4790K, so you should be able to slize that down to closer to 7 secs. Did something run in the background?

@Holo
Nothing was running in the background, only Rhino 6. I’ve also disabled my antivirus or I would get CPU_07 test close to 23 seconds.
I’ve also noticed that Reduce Mesh was a lot higher than most of the results in this thread but I have no explanation for this behavior. I’ve run the benchmark 3 times and this test was always around 12 second mark.
I don’t know if this specific test needs some optimized settings in Rhino or NCP. I will tinker with my hardware config a little to see if there are any improvements.

Yeah, that test shows up as a bottle neck every now and then… And I have never figured out why.
@wim do you have any clue on what can be going on? Many Xeons has scored low with it too, and I know that the 8700 is performing well on it.

PS! What language are you running on both Rhino and the OS? (I see it says 64bitowy)

@Holo
OS is in Polish, Rhino is in English. Also it’s the latest 19H2 build of Windows with current updates.

1 Like

Hi @Holo,

At the end of my benchmark there was a message if I want to delete the custom display modes. I clicked yes, but not all were removed.

Ok, thanks, which was left behind?