Help in exploding/splitting a welded mesh by specific points

Hi everyone,

Was wondering is there a way to explode a mesh or split it at selected points?
I have a set of points which was created from the original nurbs brep,The vertices were traced on the mesh via closest point.

I need to split the mesh into separate meshes according to the vertices selected.

Any help would be appreciated
See attached photo and file.

Thanks!

Mesh split.gh (82.2 KB) SplitTest.3dm (415.8 KB)

Hi,

this specific case looks as if the selected vertices would share a stronger agle than the ones that need to stay together.

without having tried I would

1. unweld
  2. explode
  3. weld by trying to hit the good agle (might need to be around 30-60°)

hope this helps

cheers
Ben

I think this is what you are looking for.2020-09-16 13_09_13-Grasshopper - Mesh split_Re

Mesh split_Re.gh (92.4 KB)

Since I recognise this model from your other thread -
As you have the original Brep, you can mesh each face separately and pass these through Kangaroo’s ‘show’ component. (While applying the simulation to the joined mesh)
Then it is easy to separate the meshes in the output:
Mesh_Triangulation_Simple K2 Inflate_3.gh (20.4 KB)

1 Like

thank you @mahanmotamedi1991.
I like your solution but it think does not follow the edged connected by the points, as well as missing some key geometry on the way. I’ll have a go at your definition.

It is important for the new mesh “patches” to follow to points / edges connected between them.

You are the best!!!
Thank you so much!

I didn’t want to bother you personally… :slight_smile:

What is it by the way - some sort of pillow?

Yes, it is some kind of a inflatable rescue device.

If it’s no hassle, would you mind explaining the function the Show component perform?
I understand that the welded mesh is inflated with the pressure and Length, But in what way Show affecting the Solver?

Thanks.
The show component is a way of passing geometry through the solver, so the deformed version can be accessed downstream from the simulation. It does not affect the movement of the points at all.
The different goals act on the points in the simulation to move them around, and then the ‘show’ geometry is reconstructed with these new point locations for the output.

Thanks again.
I really appreciate it.