Hatches in blocks change direction

I’ve noticed that hatches sometimes change direction inside of blocks. Has anyone else seen this?

Hi Brennan,
I have not see this.

Would you be able to attach a small file and the steps that will replicate this issue?
Is this Rhino 5 or 6?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

I might be able to soon, I’m a bit swamped so hopefully someone else will be able to chime in if I forget. Not too big of a deal :slight_smile:

Hi,

just came across the same issue. Any ideas about what s happening?

Rhino file (RH6) attached:
190318_Hatch.3dm (72.2 KB)

Steps as follows:
1 - create a hatch. copy paste it next to it.
2 - use the block command on one of them.
3 - double click the block to edit. Do not adjust anything and close the blockedit dialogue by pressing ok.
4 - one hatch should be rotated by 90 or -90 degrees.

Repeat the last 2 steps once to get the hatch displayed as is was originally intended.

Thanks, @Tudor for all the details and the file.
This issue is easily repeatable with the steps and the file.

The bug was logged under RH-51516.
As soon as the developer looks at it, it may be opened for public viewing and I will post the link.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Great! thanks for looking into it!

Hi Tudor,
The developers are working on this now.
They have requested the .PAT file that has the a-insulation hatch definition.

A-insulation does is not distributed with Rhino.
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

I’d like that hatch as well :slight_smile:

Insulation hatch.3dm (27.8 KB)

1 Like

Much oblidged

HI Brennan,
No problem. It was able to be fixed with just the 3dm file. The issue was with the transformation on the hatch that was corrected in sr15

You will see the fix in Service Release 15.
So if your Options -> Updates and Statistics are set to Release Candidate daily you should see it by next Wednesday.

Anyone that want to use the insulation hatch can download the ar_insultation file attached.
Insert this file into a model or template where you want to use this hatch.
Verify the Ar_insultation will be in your hatch list. You can delete the file you inserted.

To use it, assign the hatch scale the height of the rectangle which is the thickness of the wall.
And put the hatch base in the lower left corner. You can do this while creating the hatch or when editing it.

ar_insulation.3dm (52.0 KB)
There are other ways to get a hatch pattern in your file, but IMO this is the easiest.

This is a shareware hatch pattern that has been passed around the internet for a few decades.
Hope it works for you.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Thanks for getting back and glad it’s solved and resolved :slight_smile:

@mary
I am experiencing a similar issue with hatches in a block. Whenever I set a certain hatch base point inside a block, as soon as I close the block editing mode the hatch base point suddenly jumps to another location. I would appreciate any quick support a lot!
Best
Philipp

grafik

Hei Philipp -

Thanks for reporting. While somewhat similar to the behavior that was described in this thread, it looks like only the 90° rotation of the pattern was fixed at that time.

I see the issue that you describe and put it on a developer’s list:
RH-70320 Annotation Hatch: Turning a hatch into a block moves the base point
Mvh,
-wim

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Hello,
I am having the exact same problem as @Philipp_Vere .
Is there any news about this problem ? is it fixed yet ?

Thanks a lot

Lawrence

Hi @Lawrence_Breitling,
Thanks for asking.

Issue RH-70320 Annotation Hatch: Turning a hatch into a block moves the base point is open and assigned to a developer.

This Forum thread has been linked to issue RH-70320.
Where there is a fix in a build that is ready for testing, you will be automatically notified here.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Hi @mary, @wim

I’d like to report another issue that is linked to the issue described above:
I have oberserved that lines (sometimes?) also change their linetypescale when they are drawn inside a block and the block is not in its edit mode.

Also, I have checked in youtrack if there has been some progress on the issues RH-70320 and RH-69172 (both are related to bugs when working with blocks) and I was a little confused to see worked on by is none, release target was changed from 8.0 to future and affected versions are empty. This seems like it is never gonna be fixed, or in a very distant future? Since both reports are from around a year ago now.
It is a pain to work with blocks in Rhino having these bugs around and the use of parametric blocks is a key feature in my opinion. So I might have to think about changing to another software apparently, if this issue is obviously very low priority?

Best regards
Philipp

I have moved the release target for these issues. I change release targets all of the time as I can really only focus on what has to be done to ship Rhino 8 at this point.

I researched RH-69172 and found that I actually did change white hatches to white at a point in the past. When I did this I received complaints from users who preferred to work with black AutoCAD style backgrounds and white objects which is why I removed the change. We would need to add options to the print dialog to be able to eventually support both camps on this issue.

I would recommend using the print color on layers and objects and then printing using the print color settings. This will give you more control over exactly what colors you want for output.