Hatch object including outline and solid background

It would be so useful if Rhino could provide hatches, that include a outline (in a specific width/color) and a solid background as specified in the screenshot attached.

This function is native in Archicad or Autocad…

While waiting for a unified solution, you can:

Make a line hatch, copy it in place and change the hatch pattern of the copy to solid, then dup border of one or the other hatches. Make any changes to the line weight of the border and the color of the hatches - you can even make the solid hatch semi-transparent in V7 - and then group the objects.

Yes, it’s several steps, but at least you can get to the end result you want right now.

That is what we do currently…

Thumbs up for a good solution soon…

Hi Matthias - this is how Hatch looks in V8/WIP at the moment.

That should cut down the steps - backfill includes transparency if needed. Missing, for you, I guess, is independent control of the border.

-Pascal

1 Like

Looks good…

So the “Show Boundary” option is allowing to display the circumfering outline already?

If yes… this is incredible useful.

It would be perfect if the boundary could be specified with a separate color and print width… preferably via the layer (by layer option).

Currently, in Rhino 7, we create and modify lines and fills separately (except point modification)…

Pascal, would that (outline specification) still be something for Rhino 8?

As this would be a real killer-feature I am again asking iy you could manage to give us the option to define the boundary thickness/color/linetype!

Hi Matthias -

This is somewhat already covered by a few YT items but I’ve added one explicitly for linetypes.
RH-69609 Annotation: Hatch: Background and Pattern
RH-75676 Section Style: Include boundary linetype option
-wim

Hatch objects already support linetypes on their boundaries in Rhino 8. Create a hatch that has its boundary visible and change the linetype for that hatch object.

Thanks. Is the ByLayer Option for the hatch-boundary-linetype also available?

Hi Matthias -

If the hatch object is set to By Layer, the layer’s linetype will be used for the hatch boundary.
-wim

Hi Wim

Great news. This is a genius feature eg. also in Archicad. This makes drawings much easier. When using a drawing with hatches one does not need a “duplicate” setup with line and hatch but one hatch with its outline only.

It still is crucial that one can define the following:
Hatch type
Hatch color
Hatch line print width

Boundary Color
Boundary Linetype
Boundary print width

Whereas the boundary line settings are more important than the hatch line width.

3 Likes

Hi Matthias -

I’ve added a note to RH-69609 [Annotation: Hatch: Background and Pattern] about the separation of boundary and pattern colors.

I couldn’t find an earlier request for that feature and added it as RH-75741 Annotation: Hatch: Control pattern width
-wim

RH-75676 is fixed in the latest WIP