Grid of Beams

Hello all, I am new to Karamba, but I’m very interested in exploring its potential. I wanted to create two heavy beams that are catenary, then smaller beams between the two major ones. Then I will analyze in Karamba. I am close, but the Line To Beam command needs lines not catenaries, and I don’t really understand how to pull in all the broken up lines in a clean and easy manner. Any advice is most appreciated, this community is amazing!replicating a catenary as grid.gh (34.7 KB)

post moved to Grasshopper category.

Hi, you need to simply draw polylines between the points on the curve and then explode them to use them in the Karamba analyis.

Thanks Matthew! What a great community this is…

Hi Matthew,

I have a similar struggle in Karamba.
Below you can see a top view of my floor grid. The continuous beam in the x-direction is spanning between core and facade. It is laterally supported by another continuous beam spanning in the y-direction, and a smaller secondary beam also spanning in the y-direction.

I have already worked on my geometry for months, and I have not made polylines. I would really not want to recreate my geometry. Is it possible to correctly model my beams without breaking my continuous beams up in several smaller beams?

I want my beam in the x-axis to be connected with hinges to the core and facade, and the lateral supports too.

But i am having issues with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, if you have your geometry in rhino/grasshopper it is very easy to simply split those continuous beams at the intersections and then join them back into polylines. Then Karamba3D will recognise all connections.

otherwise you can use some list management to perform a line-line-intersection: Refer to our video #15 – Optimizing Workflows

1 Like

Hi Matthew, I thank you via email but in case you missed that, thanks again, I have managed to change it.