Great new mesh booleans but what about texture

The new mesh booleans work great. What I’m missing is the ability to keep the texture when the mesh is hollowed, remeshed or maybe holes drilled / parts subtracted from it.

22_11_26_rhino_02.3dm (17.8 MB)

The file contains the full rhino and one half of the split and hollowed rhino.

PS: I don’t want to use Meshmixer.

Is it possible to keep textures after Quadremesh - Rhino / Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum

2 Likes

While there are a number of complications using various of the commands.

What commands exactly were used from the textured model to the split model with the offset? I can use that to report the process.

A post was split to a new topic: Edit input to Boolean operations

Thanks for splitting the topic @wim

I opened the *.obj file with Rhino WIP and ran a boolean difference with a box. The offset is created with the Shrinkwrap command. The texture is lost after the boolean difference.

When splitting do you get something like this? I want to make sure I am reporting the same problem.

Yes when I split the mesh it looks like your screenshot. After a boolean difference the texture goes sort of all black.

Hi @martinsiegrist

here just a reference to our internal bug tracker: RH-71868

We are working on this.
Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

1 Like

@martinsiegrist I forgot one part. When using MeshSplit, it’s just a cached texture problem. They are a little too persistent in the WIP. You can use the RebuildMesh command with the PreserveTextureCoordinates option turned on, and it will fix it. We will fix this of course before ASAP.

Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

1 Like

Thanks for your replies Giulio. In Rhino 8 WIP I don’t get command line options for the RebuildMesh command.

I just tried to split the mesh in Rhino 7 both with MeshSplit command and MeshBooleanDifference. It works nicely. I also subtracted a Shrinkwrapped negative offset which I copy pasted from Rhino 8 WIP.

If I would have this rhino model 3D printed in full color in two halves, I’d want the outside of the mesh to be the real texture. The mating surface however I’d expect to have no texture just like the negative offset.

I subtracted a mesh sphere from my split rhino scan and here it works as expected.

rhino_half_textured.3dm (3.4 MB)

Is there a way I can have a UV texture on one part of the mesh and simple materials on other parts and join everything into one closed mesh that could look like this?

2 Likes

I’m talking about this one:

I don’t know if it’s possible, or maybe planned. This is a question for @DavidEranen. I’m working with him to have Rhino WIP do what you guys here think is best.

1 Like

I had the mesh preselected…

1 Like

We are discussing this type of thing internally. No promises of any kind from the RDK team, but we will see…

1 Like