Grasshopper UI bug while launching too close to or overlapping the screen boundary!

Hello,

When the Grasshopper window appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, upon launch, and is too close to, or overlaps the screen edge, the icons (i.e. Open, Save, Zoom, etc.) of the Canvas Toolbar weirdly rearrange themselves to overlap each other.

I’ve noticed the bug, since the early RhinoWIP 6 versions. It’s pretty hard to catch though and not really frequent. I don’t really get in the first place, why Grasshopper sometimes pops up so far to the left.
I’ve even tried, placing the window out of bounds and restarting Rhino, but that somehow doesn’t necessarily replicate the issue.
I’ve also never encountered it on the right side, but my Grasshopper window lives mainly in the left half of the screen.

When I move the window to the right the icons re-arrange and everything is fine.
I’m currently using version 6 (6.18.19260.10102, 2019-09-17) on High Sierra (10.13.6) on a MacBook Pro with an external display.

I’m not able to reproduce this on my machine (two displays running macOS Catalina 10.15), using the latest Release Candidate for 6.20. If you switch to that Release Candidate, do you still experience the issue?

1 Like

I’ve just installed the update, but unfortunately the GUI bug still happens right after Grasshopper launches.

Do you think that this might be linked to using Rhino 6 on High Sierra, or with an external monitor?

BTW, thanks for replying to all my bug reports.

Rhino 6 on High Sierra, or with an external monitor?

That’s possible. But I suspect I just don’t have detailed enough steps to reproduce what you are seeing. The devil is in the details usually.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much, since it’s mainly of a cosmetic nature.
It seems to happen mostly when the Grasshopper window intersects or overlaps the periphery of the screen on launch.
I usually work with Grasshopper on the right and a Rhino perspective view on the left part of my screen.
I don’t use any automatic window positioning. I just adjust the window placement as I go. Here’s the window arrangement immediately after launch:

Rhino and Grasshopper seems to remember the window placement of the previous session (?), which is great, but might also be the cause of the recurring bug in my case.

As previously mentioned, readjusting the window size arranges the icons to their default positions.

I’m using a 15" MacBook Pro (2016) connected to an Apple LED Cinema Display with an USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1 adapter. I mainly use clamshell mode (which means that the laptop is closed while connected to the screen).
Technically speaking the external display is of a bigger screen size but lower resolution than the MacBook Pro with its high-def “retina” screen.

Agreed. This is low priority. One of the reasons we do tend to eventually investigate these sorts of reports is that, sometimes, they turn up a larger problem.

The clamshell mode detail is interesting…I have a very similar setup (minus the older OS) and I couldn’t reproduce it.

It’s weird that the window position is even allowed to overlap the other screen at startup. Can you please send the results of SystemInfo?

1 Like