Grasshopper - ArchiCAD live connection Evaluation - not possible at the moment?

I have just registered for an evaluation licence.
With the evaluation licence I can only download the Rhino version 7, and the ArchiCAD live connection only supports up to version 6.

Is there a way, to try the connection without buying a commercial Rhino 6 licence?
Probably there is going to be a new version of the live connection soon, but my evaluation will expire, and hopefully COVID will be gone soon, and I won’t be as enthusiastic as I am now to spend my free time before my computers learning stuff.

I am working as an architect, and would love to learn about parametric design, and maybe get the leaders of the company to buy Rhino - but they definitely won’t do that if I can’t use the software.

Thanks you,
Szamosi Máté

Hi -

We have been told that people are using the Archicad Direct connection with Rhino 7 release and Archicad 24. Have you tried that and are running into issues?
-wim

Hello Wim,
Thank You for the fast answer.

I have downloaded the the latest addon but when I try to install it I get the following error:
Rhino_instal_error

The download page on the Graphisoft page says the following:

• The v23 & v24 of Grasshopper – Archicad Live Connection supports Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 on both platforms (Win & macOS).

So I assumed it isn’t supposed to work.

Szamosi Máté

Hi Szamosi -

It sounds like Archicad 24 might need to be reinstalled after installing the Live Connection:

-wim

Thank you for confirming that it is possible to get it to work.

Indeed the connection seams to be working between ArchiCAD 24 and Rhino 7.0 - but the install process is far from smooth. Here is what I did, if anyone has the same problem:

1. download, and install Rhino 6. It only asks for licence for starting the software - which you don’t need
  2. install the ArchiCAD connection. It will work this time.
  3. the installer puts a ArchiCADConnection.gha file to rhino6/plug-ins/grashopper. Copy it to rhino 7.
  4. the .gha will not load at this point, as it needs Newtonsoft.Json.dll to run. It is renamed as Newtonsoft.Json.Rhino.dll in rhino 7. I copied the one from the rhino 6/system to Rhino 7/system. Seams to be working
  5. at this point ArchiCAD stopped working. I needed to reinstall it
  6. after the reinstall, is seams to be working fine (well at least on the surface)

Szamosi Máté

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed information here. It looks like we will need to get some Graphisoft help here.

I would also post this information on this forum: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewforum.php?f=43&sid=c363554f37c7ea84ae580899f7a348c9 to get some eyes on the problem.

I can also contact a few people related to the product that I know that may be able to help.