Get objects from sublayers

Hi,

I need to pull some geometry via the “import 3DM” component from a file. That file has many layers and sublayers while the sublayer names are often identical, so they are not unique. I searched and it seems like getting sublayer objects from another file isn’t possible? I hope there is a way because I would have to restructure the file that I want to pull in data from.

Thanks

I just tried the RH7WIP because I thought this might work with GH2. I realized the WIP does not run GH2 but still GH1?
Anyway, it does work there.

This is the layer structure of the file I’m importing via “import 3DM”:

Anmerkung 2020-08-07 101427

This is the definition:

Any chance this works in RH6 as well? Maybe it already does and I’m just not getting it?

Hi -

I’d say that it’s merely a picture of a definition, but ok…

When I make that definition in Rhino 6 and then open it in Rhino 7, I get the following:

… which indicates that there is an updated version of the Import 3DM component in Rhino 7.

Bug fixes and additional features are generally only put into Rhino 7 these days, so your best work-around is to use Rhino 7. Alternatively, the Human plug-in has an Read 3dm File component that appears to be working correctly in Rhino 6.
-wim

Thanks for pointing out the obvious fact that the picture of the definition n’est pas une…

May I point out to you that the following is merely a picture of what you get.

Why not just answer the question without taking a cheap shot? Was that really necessary? It’s embarrassing.

Back to the actual content:
Why don’t you fix bugs anymore in RH6? I would assume that fixing bugs is the norm for a paid software, at least until a newer version is officially released.

So I tried it in RH7WIP. As I had mentioned, accessing the objects on a sublayer worked for the smal RH07WIP based test file. Strangely now it does not anymore - in the latest RH7WIP :frowning:
When I reopen the gh file (again, all in RH7WIP now) it tells me that the import 3DM component is old. I have created the file in GH out of RH7 though, not used the old file nor copied the component over from the old definition. Is there some confusion going on with RH6 and RH7WIP being installed alongside?

Next, I’ll try the human plugin you suggested.

EDIT:
After I restarted Windows, it does work in RH7WIP again. Maybe it was a problem because I had RH6 and RH7WIP at the same time? I noticed that objects from hidden layers don’t get recognized/imported. A way to control this behaviour would be nice.

EDIT2:
Yes, it works in RH7WIP.

Hi -

I dunno. I’m still living with the hope that people can learn how to make it easier for others to help them. It’s probably in vain but, as they say, hope dies last.

I would assume that there is an infinite number of discovered and undiscovered bugs in Rhino 6. If we continue to spend a lot of our resources at fixing those, there’ll never be a next version. Apart from that, the decision has been made. It wasn’t mine.

Thanks.

I agree, that would be nice. I’ve logged this feature request as RH-59775.
Cheers,
-wim

Note, it looks like the Human component also imports objects on hidden layers.

1 Like