Geometry/mesh into one continuous surface to populate bubbled hexagons along the surface

That sounds to me like something wrong in the setup.
It’s late here now, but I’ll take a look soon and show a more efficient way to do this.

1 Like

There are a variety of issues,
starting with my distraction,
I failed to pay proper attention.

I should have configured my help with knowledge of these numbers I had no knowledge of.

First,
the file I gave you was a mess, and still is, just less messy - got rid of unnecessary stuff.

Second,
unnecessary stuff also includes ultra small fragments along edges, inevitably resulting from splitting hexagons:

Third,
If you already have a result in mind,
and know kangaroo can handle it real-time (gh doesn’t like it, though).
So what you can do is:

  1. configure your architecture first,
    for example, the ‘scale’ for the offset panel ‘border’, which can end up being too thin:

  1. simulate (set to yes):

jk it won’t simulate!

Not real-time,
however if you are okay ‘waiting’ a bit,
you should obtain ‘something’!

Using the zombie solver in this case:

Took that amount of time on this computer when set to 25k iterations - can’t say it will take less or more or infinite on yours.

However,
some panels get sacrificed:

I’m actually surprised most panels along the edge get ‘inflated’,
as their mesh beauty is definitely beneath Kangaroo’s taste:

Kangaroo likes remeshed meshes, but my grasshopper doesn’t care:

…which means it’s the end (for now) of my help!
mshtosrf2.gh (172.1 KB)

2 Likes

This worked perfectly _colleraman Took me less than 1 minute to compute. I am living a dream now.
we tried it with Pufferfish here and it did not fill all the hexagon to the edges, this looks amazing.

thank you so so so much gonna go and cry a bit

Of course Pufferfish doesn’t have anything like this working with hexagons so I am not surprised it didn’t work :smiley: . Got to use the right tool for the right job. Pufferfish morphing is focused on Twisted Boxes which are boxes (4 sided, and also triangles). Mainly I didn’t make this kind of morphing because it already exists in Mesh+ and NGon (Barycentric Mapping). I am glad now that it is in native GH thanks to @DanielPiker (and with the great idea of it providing a template to place the units)

Not so fast!

I remembered dealing with this before while using meshmap, where some meshes, though seemingly ‘okay’, get rejected upon operating on them after they have been mapped.

I inspected the file and made sure I welded it flat, then mapped.

Works more effectively now:

with a reduction in computing time:

Here’s the latest
mshtosrf2 (1).gh (184.9 KB)

3 Likes

it works perfectly thank you :slight_smile: