Generating a Tri/ Hex grid space frame

Hi all,
I’m attempting to generate a space frame made up of a Triangular primary grid and a Hexagonal secondary grid. Initially I have started with a simple flat attempt however I would like to eventually be able to translate this script to a curved surface or mesh. The main issue I have encountered is joining the points between the two grids. I am relatively new to grasshopper so initially I tried drawing out the form I am trying to achieve in rhino without the use of parametrics.

HEX-TRI SPACE FRAME INITIAL CONCEPT.3dm (169.1 KB)

I will also attach the grasshopper script I am working with some images of where I am going wrong. Any help would be really appreciated.
Cheers in advance,
Jack

Tri - Hex Based space frame WIP.gh (11.3 KB)

This is the grasshopper script

And this is what I was trying to achieve

Hi @Jack_Arnold
There was an example of this sort of space frame included in the example file for multipipe that might be helpful
spaceframe.gh (96.3 KB)

The same approach (take the dual of the offset and connect between the vertices of that and the original) works for quad or tri meshes

2 Likes

Thanks this has solved my issue perfectly and was a much simpler a solution than I thought I needed!

1 Like

Well … given the opportunity (and since you post in this category) a couple of things:

1. A real-life W Truss (not to mention the envelope part) is 0.0001% about abstract strut axis and 99.9999% about clash free components (like cones, sleeves, struts, balls, cats and dogs).
  2. A real life truss is made from components. Same with the envelope.
  3. In order to solve the clash issue(s) you’ll need Connectivity and some other things: like an ability to modify on the fly faulty/problematic nodes (by dealing with volatile from/to presistent data etc etc). The later is 100% impossible without code (in fact any real-life truss is impossible without code).
  4. In order to solve the components issue you’ll need Methods that deal with all of your objects as nested Instance Definitions. After all and since R is 1++M miles away from any BIM AEC app … sooner or later you’ll need to export your solution to some similar thingy (like AECOSIm and the likes).
  5. Even if a Truss is a purely Academic/Student puzzle/case is a very bad habit to ignore things that you’ll face later on as a pro.

As an indicative start on that matter see attached.

Mesh_ToTruss_For_Amateurs_V1.gh (169.9 KB)