Generating a Population Density Map

(Zedd Madi) #1

Hello Community,

I am working on my thesis and trying to generate a population density map for a refugee camp, similar to the one in the attached Image. - which was made by satellite thermal mapping.

02_Data_Assets.gh (7.6 KB)
03_Snipped_Camp_Model.3dm (1.1 MB)

01_Density_Example

The attached file is an example set of one of the 12 camp districts, where I have the inhabitants population to all districts like that of in the example.

I have associated all the example district blocks into polyline areas by layers and tried to associate each data set of the area to its corresponding population count but was not able to do it as I am no GH expert.

I also have the population data in an excel file, but added the relevant example ones directly into the GH file.

The population density would be to each block = (Block Population Count / Block Area) and I wanted to use this value to create an index to the generated “thermal” map to the entire camp.

If anyone could help me in doing it for the example district plot, I believe I can do it for the entire camp.\

Your help is kindly appreciated!

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Take a look at the attachment. Best.

02_Data_Assets_re.gh (15.1 KB)

(Zedd Madi) #3

Hello Kim! You’re so kind! Thank you so much :smiley: It has worked perfectly and I fed it with the area & population data and it went smoothly! Here’s a look how it looks like! And nicely so correlative to the thermal image! - I have only done a couple minor tweaks, replaced the curves with surfaces for more accurate results.

One last thing remains, I need to bake the preview results to export into illustrator, and I have no clue how to do that, would be kind of you if you could show me how!

03_Data_Assets_Updated.gh (19.7 KB)

You didn’t internalise your curve param…
Anyway, you could use the plugin called doodlebug, but it seems like no longer available…
Or you could export your population map to a bitmap using squid plugin…

Population Heat Map_re.gh (17.7 KB)

(Wim Dekeyser) #5

Just to add to possibilities…

Install the Elefront plugin, create solid hatches from the curves and assign the color from the gradient. Then bake to Rhino and export as SVG.

Inkscape: