Density map of Points in Grasshopper

Hey I am new to GH and was wondering if there is any way of using a surface or mesh as a way to map the changing densities of the points shown in the photo below. The map is to show the density of pipes in a city but I cannot figure out a way to create a script that will accomplish this.

Cheers

Max

I would even settle for just changing the colour of the points in a gradient colour scheme to create a sense of fluctuating densities in certain areas

upload file.

Here you go!

As I say I am a beginner on GH so the script might be completely wrong

POINT-GRADIENT-MAP.gh (18.9 KB)

Dont have merkat. Can you just internalize the final points? :slight_smile:

How do I internalise the final points? hahah sorry I’m so new to this

No problem. Right click on the “point container”, there’s an option: Internalize Data.

What about just using point groups.

ptGroups.gh (7.3 KB)

Actually I think Proxy is more what you are after.

ptProxy.gh (11.4 KB)

1 Like

3 fast approaches.

density1

density

Dunno how you want it to look.
First one is just displaying the Points. The other two are meshes.

point_density.gh (17.4 KB)

Edit: Cloud Display repaired.

1 Like

Hey sorry i have been asleep!

Here is the file with the internalized points! i didnt want to bother you with this so i tried to use your files however they havent seemed to have worked when i plug in the points!

POINTS INTERNALIZED.gh (21.9 KB)

Works fine here.

ptProxy.gh (35.7 KB)

Flatten your points. Same for my script.

(higher res -> less fuzzy -> longer calc)

Thanks so much, this is exactly what i want! is there anyway to bake or export this as a line file or export file in which keeps the colours and points?

So i can put into illustrator or CAD

1 Like

Hello, I’ve been using this script it’s amazing thank you!
I was just wondering whether someone could explain why you duplicate data after the gradient component? Just looking to understand more about what I’m doing?

Because it makes a color per face. A face has 4 corners and the color is calculated for one center per face. Grasshopper component need colors per vertex and not per face.

1 Like