For Rhino V6 wishlist

Extracted mesh from a mirrored block?

I have reported an issue where these are wrongly inverted.

Sorry HOLO for i just come here today.

That image i post it is not a EXTRACTED MESH. And it is not from a blockā€¦ Since i was tuning my displays modes to achieve better shadows quality, like we have been talking in this post, i have exploded all my blockā€¦ So, that is an object with some polysurfacesā€¦ Although i have to say that made a mirror from there. But a mirror from a polysurfaces. Not on block.

Perhaps that is from my graphic card. (gamer one GTX780M) Or not??
I dont know were the ā€œbugā€ is. I am tired to find solutions, or redraw objects to solve some bugs like that on my file made in rhino.

If you have any solutions, please share.

Have you run the Dir command to check the surface normals are pointing out. Also are all the parts valid closed polysurfaces or extrusions.

Mark

At first i have it in extrusions. Then i realise that shadows still dont work correct. After all i do the explode and start to ā€œCREATE SOLIDā€. Now i only have ā€œCLOSED POLYSURFACESā€ā€¦ but then i found this only happens when i am a bit far from a closed/near view to that objects. If i close up view that edges disappear. Have a look please:

I think thatā€™s because when you zoom out, the spacing between the surfaces becomes less than 1pixel (or whatever your edge size is) so the pixel bleeds through.
or something like that.

It could beā€¦ since that trellis from the column only have 0.005m thickness (5millimeters)ā€¦ It that the reason? Can i do something to correct that?.. Because when i need to print any orthogonal view (front, top, left, right), i get that results. The only way is MAKE2D.

What do you have your units and tolerances set to?

hereā€™s a common scenario when iā€™ll see that happenā€¦ itā€™s just a framed wall with some plywood on it.

wall.3dm (348.3 KB)

zoom out far enough and the studs will bleed throughā€¦ the thicker your edge settings, the earlier the bleed will happen when zooming out.

(rhino isnā€™t the only modeling software i see this happen in)

YAPā€¦ i see it.
Is there any solutions???
Because if we need to print some view it will result in those bleed. The only way for rhino not show that is to ā€œMAKE2Dā€ā€¦ but if you have a lots of components behind it will bleed again

hiding objects which arenā€™t seen by the camera works but only in certain situationsā€¦ in your situation, with the size of the model and the fineness youā€™re wanting to output at, i really donā€™t know what to suggestā€¦ it would be a whole lot of work to get it perfect.

[EDIT] this might work in rhino (well, it works on that example file of the wall)
(donā€™t do this to the main .3dmā€¦ duplicate it first :wink: )

ā€¢ in your display mode, set edges to 0 and make curves visible
ā€¢ explode everything
ā€¢ if you have curves in the model, you might have to get rid of themā€¦ _SelCrv _Hide
ā€¢ _SelVisible
ā€¢ _DupBorder

Antonio, Can you please post the objects that are in the image, or send them to me via private message?

thanks,

-Pascal

hey pascalā€¦
he posted the truss earlier in the thread (not sure why itā€™s ~70MB but it is)

fwiw, i just zoomed way way out on that truss then did a huge ViewCapture (like 20000px wide) and could not see the problem (though i could see it on screen)ā€¦

so, i donā€™t knowā€¦ iā€™ll stay out of this convo maybe :wink:

OK, I see it, thanks.
-Pascal

this is the almost finally drawing.
As you can see there are a lots of objects (closed polysurfaces). NO MESHESā€¦ just polysurfaces. The file size are at 1.553,381KB (1.5GB file size). Huge file :smile:
I dont know how to count all objects inside this file. Just curious about how many.

About ā€œedge bleedingā€ā€¦ still there. no matter what i try. (i have to ā€œthinkā€ this is about GEFORCE CARDS Their ā€œFLOATING POINT PRECISIONā€ are not so good.) But that is just me thinking.

note: please download the PNG a make zoom. You will notice that bleeding edges are all over the draw.

Not sure if it is the solution, but you can see if adjusting the TestZbiasFactor up or down affects the bleed-through. It might need to be a different value for different views.

thanks for the tip. It improves a litle, but still depends on the zoom. I try to low the value to max but zoom out still bleed edges. ā€œto many objects to much detail i thinkā€

Thanks. I will keep working.

i wish for more consistent behavior when extruding with the gumball.

currently, you have to do quite a few different things in order to get (from a user pov) the exact same expectation.

using this file for example in the video:
extrudeExample.3dm (101.7 KB)

i really think if this were tuned up for easy and consistent behavior regarding pulling or pushing surfaces, rhino could attract a few more users as well as make things easier for current usersā€¦

iā€™m not sure if it should be a special mode (or whatever) or a certain key to push while using gumball which selects (no difference between sub object and object) and extrudes the same way for all these various situations but i do think itā€™s important to discuss/consider.

iā€™m not saying the other results arenā€™t desired (like using moveFace when adjacent surfaces are angled along with the face being moved)ā€¦ there are situations when those results are wantedā€¦ itā€™s just that those alternate results should be the ones requiring the modifier keys / more knowledge of the app then the default/least amount of mod keys/etc will simply extrude surfaces in a push&pull type manner.
thanks for listening.

2 Likes

Work Sessions

1. An ability to merge a work session reference into the current file so it maintains its layers / block locations etc. Microstation has a useful function

2. Ability to override work session reference layer colours. Or an ability to turn a reference layer to all red.

3. Improved stability with large work sessions. e.g use more ram etc.

4. I still think the sketchup real time shadows runs far faster at 32bit than the Rhino View styles.

Named Views

1. Ability to save object visibility with saved view. So when you save a view you can also save exactly what is shown in the scene when the view was saved.

ā€œOutlinerā€ Scene manager

1. Rhino could do with having a Sketchups or Mayas style Outliner(scene manager)

2. Ability to save shadows as vectors

3. Improved program stability when the camera is turned on. When I turn the camera on the scene runs to an almost non-functional slow.

4. Ability to render with Vray when using the clipping plane

More requests to come.

Improved mesh display.

You should be able to display meshes with planar mesh wires removed, so you just see the ā€œoutlineā€ mesh wires.

2 Likes

Object Viewport attributes to work in Layout Views.