Fillet Edges, a never ending Nightmare

I have tried a lot of different workflows, workarounds. Buildet 3D Models ten times in different ways, but the fillet edge comand is a never ending Nightmare.
Even if Models are perfect symetric it happens that it works on one side and fails at the other.
Today I got a complete new Problem… i had one (ONE!!!) naked Edge after the fillet edge comand!

Does Anyone have a good expirience with this operation?
Sadly I’m used to rhino. I like the layout function and I’m quite fast at the most things. But if i need some radius in a model i get nearly crazy with this $§#%!
At the Moment i often export the model to Fusion 360 and import it again to rhino and so I thinking about to change my CAD Programm.
How are you working with this Problems?Filet Edge Problem.3dm (1.8 MB)

Next Problem…
Thats what rhino does:

and thats what i needed:

Its soo sad that this function is working soo bad!!!

Well in regards to your Rhino file, a tiny single naked edge like that may be able to be fixed with the RemoveAllNakedMicroEdges command, which worked. Also, you have a top flat surface that’s unnecessarily split up right at a corner, using MergeAllFaces makes the other side work trouble-free.

In more complex filleting situations, using FilletSrf on separate surfaces instead of trying to close everything up into a solid that FilletEdge will work on can be a much faster, cleaner workflow.

Hi - In addition to what Jim says - was it really the intention that the height of that edge is 2.05 units?
It is recommended that features are at least one order of magnitude larger than the file tolerance. With your file tolerance of 0.01, you are only half an order of magnitude away (as the remaining edge is only 0.05).

-wim

1 Like

Thank you for the tips!
Maybe I should ask here more befor going mad in front of the PC!
The other part worked as well, did it in three steps now.

I made the hight 2.05 because my expirience is that the fillet funktion fails most of the time when you are using 2mm hight for a 2mm radius.
On the original part its a 2mm radius at 1.5mm hight… and I really had no nerves to try that…

Most of the time its not my “intention” how to make the parts… i try to make them like they are or like they should be… and that drives me sometimes crazy at the CAD Process.

I never had Problems in Rhino when i made things like i intended it. :wink:

This is my new fine thing to think about…

Thank you for your help and see you soon here.
Best regardes Florian

1 Like

I think that the following surface layout would give you a more natural flow of the general shape and make it appear nearly identical to the real part.

As for your other part that needs 2 mm deep “pockets” and 3 mm radius, it may be done by building 1 mm vertical offset surfaces (i.e. 1 mm larger than your current vertical surfaces) that are at least 4 mm tall, then apply the 3 mm radius fillet, and split and delete the unnecessary portion of the model.

Another option is to create offset curves inside of the pocket, then split the deeper horizontal surface with it, then use “Sweep 2 rails” (with the “Add slash” option" to define the extrusion) with “Trangent” for the bottom edge and “Position” for the top edge. That will not make a perfect radius (it depends on the shape of the profile curves), but at least you have a better control over the general shape.

2 Likes

Another way to fillet a similar shape with all fillets the same radius. FilletSrf used with manual trimming. Some of the trims required DupEdge and using the edge curve as the trimming tool.