Fillet Edge Help

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and fairly new to Rhino. I’m attempting to fillet the edges on a hull I am modeling and keep running into difficulty in getting satisfactory results with this command. The intersections at 90 deg. all work out fine, but the intersections on the hull( outer and inner surfaces ) are not filleting properly. I’ve tried rebuilding the surfaces, doing the larger fillets first and lowering the absolute tolerance a bit, but to no avail.

Can anyone explain where the problem lies, and what’s the best approach to solving it? I’ve attached the file for your review. Thanks for any help and I’m glad to be here!
8’ Dinghy.3dm (1.4 MB)

Hi Jason - can you point out what edges to fillet and at what radius (radii)?

(Some of the objects seem a little more complex than needed - I’ll see if I simplify, hold on a bit.)

Simpler:

8’ Dinghy_PG.3dm (918.7 KB)`

thanks,

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

1/4 to 1/2" radii.

The inside and outside corners of the hull, where the vertical corners meet the top surface is the problem area. Also, the corners of the keel at the ends. Thanks!

Hi Jason - here’s a version - I did some edges… not sure what you wanted but the thing is

1. Simplify things where possible to eliminate seams between surfaces.
  2. Do the larger radius fillets first where there are colliding radii.
  3. Do all contiguous edges at once.
  4. Don’t panic if there are cases where things fall apart - there is always a way out, most often using FilletSrf and a little hand surgery.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/advancedfilleting

8’ Dinghy_PG_Fillets.3dm (1.5 MB)

-Pascal

1 Like

Fillet Envy

All the fillets look great! Thanks for the help! I’ll try simplifying the surfaces a bit more and see what I can do. I didn’t think to try the FilletSrf command. We’ll test my deftness with the surgery.

Thanks!

All the best,

Jason

Hi Jason - also, make your fillets on a copy of the final (except for fillets) object. Just in case.

-Pascal

Will do! Thanks!

Jason