Fillet Edge a Polysurface leaves holes

Hi there, I am new to rhino.
for a Project in Uni I am designing a piece. It is composed of a lot of planar surfaces. Now I want to make the edges filleted to create the illusion of slightly organic structure.

If I try to do that the Fillet commands leaves behind big gaps which are not really easily reparable, I think?

any help would be great thanks
FilletEdge.3dm (2.6 MB)

If you are drawing with millimeters, and your object is about 1400 mm long, so 1.4 meters…

WHY is your object 5653 kilometers far away from the origin?
Are you using the planet center as cartesian system?

Please move your object near origin, merge your co-planar faces, and fillet will work better.

Hi Jonas - it looks to me like the main trouble is these two faces -

They are very nearly tangent. If you can replace those with a single 4 point face (SrfPt command) things will work out better.

But I am not getting all the holes you show…(I would move the object in to the origin though)

-Pascal

Hi there, thanks for the help so far.

moving the model to 0/0 helped a lot. I finished the model itself. But getting quite a few holes still.

Is this only due to a lot of faces being nearly tangent or is there something else?

I also tried the merge of the co-planar faces…

Fillet_Edge2.3dm (4.1 MB)

Corners where multiple colliding edges are both convex and concave will always present a problem -

I don’t think there is anything to do but build surftace fillets and trim them in.

Also, @Jonas_Möller - your file is in meters and the fillets ~20mm; with a file tolerance of .001 (=1mm) you will likely run into ptoblems - I’d set file tolerance to .0001, or work in mm.

-Pascal

1 Like