Fancy wires display in Grasshopper (Rhino for Mac)

Hi,

Can something be done to display fancy wires ,correctly" in GH on macOS (by that I mean ,as in Windows")?
Please note the dashed wires in the screenshot.
Is this intentional? Display scaling has no effect on it.

I’m using version 5.4.2 (5E411).

Thanks,
Balázs

Edit: typos

1 Like

Unfortunately, we’re really not sure how to do this one (RH-40056).

I see, thank you for your reply. I’ve taken a look at the linked issue, would it be possible to increase the spacing then? It would be an essential step in my opinion, as the current solution really hinders the readability of all files for me. Maybe it would be easier just to increase the dash gap width in the dashed lines, rather than imitating the WIndows-look for now. To be honest, I wouldn’t really mind if the lines are not hollow, but more than happy with something like in the screenshot.

Do you think it is doable?

1 Like

Hey @furtonb,

I know the issue with this one, and the gap needs to be scaled based on the thickness of the line which at this point I don’t think it’s doing. We can certainly increase the gap as you suggest so that even though it would still be solid, it would be more readable.

Thanks for the feedback, it’s very appreciated!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

Hello!
I’m sorry, i just don’t quite understand how it works. If you’re saying you will increase the gap it means in a next version of grasshopper?

Yup, good question. In the bug tracker it says the release target is 6.0.

@curtisw can we expect it in 5.x releases, or 6.0 is going to stay?

Hi, just starting to learn GH (on a Mac) following tutorials mostly written for windows. I agree that the dotted line is more an issue than the single vs double line inconsistency. Creating a larger gap between the dotted segments would make these lines a lot more readable.

1 Like

Hey @furtonb,

Sorry for the super late response, this just came back up due to the new comment. The fix for this will be in Mac Rhino 6.0. We aren’t planning to backport fixes to 5.x at this point.

Hope this helps!
Curtis.

3 Likes

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the reply!

I am also playing with RhinoWIP 6.11 at the moment, do you have an estimate when this will be incuded in the WIP version? If I see it properly, it is not incorporated at the moment.

As panning is not so responsive with larger documents (even on my beefier desktop setup), it would be really appreciated, if this issue could be solved soon!

[off] Is the canvas redraw in Grasshopper using the CPU or the GPU? Because I have a decent GPU, which should be handling it smooth as butter… As on my desktop it is the single core performance which is not so shiny, I suspect it is done on the CPU in a single thread… [/off]

Thanks again!

Hey @furtonb,

You’re right in that it hasn’t been fixed yet. Thanks for the feedback, I can increase the priority of this item to try to get to it sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, a lot of System.Drawing’s features can’t be directly replicated with GPU operations on macOS so it is indeed rendering a lot of what you see with the CPU. I hope performance can be improved greatly as I have yet to go through performance optimizations with this version. However, I don’t think it will be easy (or possible) to match the performance on Windows exactly.

Cheers,
Curtis.

1 Like

Hi @curtisw,

is there any progress since the last posts?
Do you have an idea when is it reasonable to expect a fix for the fancy wires display issue?

Thanks for the feedback, I can increase the priority of this item to try to get to it sooner rather than later.

I would appreciate a bump in priority for this.

Thanks!

Surprise in the latest WIP! Looks much better now! :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just me, but the thin lines could be lighter either in colour or weight (or both), but I’m not yet fully accustomed to the new look.

Thank you @curtisw, @dan, and the others involved!

1 Like

Hey @furtonb,

Awesome! I’m glad it’s working better for you now (;

You’re right, we may be able to differentiate the thick and thin lines a bit more by using colour instead of making them hollow like on Windows, but hopefully this is a good start for you.

Cheers!
Curtis.