Extract voronoi faces of dodecahedron

(Cthom27) #1

I’m struggling to extract the faces of a dodecahedron (edges with voronoi cells) to Orient on the XY plane so that they can be Scaled prior to laser cutting.

Shattering the curves doesn’t have the result I expected…

Any help or direction would be great please.

voronio dodecahedron 1.1.gh (14.6 KB)

Have a try Split Brep Multiple and opennest plugin.

voronio dodecahedron 1.1_re.gh (18.3 KB)

(Cthom27) #3

Thanks for the reply Mr Kim, your solution is not quite what I’m looking for though I do like the idea of a multicoloured multipaneled dodecahedron!

What I am trying to make is a dodecahedron with voronoi faces, but rather than putting the voronoi cells on each face separately, I want to use voronoi 3d to have the pattern continue over the joins in the twelve faces seamlessly. My definition appears to do this but the problem now is in separating the faces complete with the voronoi cells to lay out on the XY plane. I’ve attached a rather poor drawing of what I want to achieve.

I’ve now tried using Surface Split but it splits both surfaces sharing the same plane with both voronoi patterns sharing the same planes as shown in the definition attached.voronio dodecahedron 1.1.gh (19.9 KB)

(Thomas Evans) #4

voronio dodecahedron 1.1_v2.gh (27.3 KB)

(Cthom27) #5

Hi Thomas.

Yes thank you, that’s exactly the thing I’m after.

When I open your definition there’s two components my Grasshopper doesn’t recognise however: One called Split brep multiple, and the one directly below with inputs B and C, output R. I see now that Mr Kim used them as well.
Are these from a plugin? Or a newer version of Grasshopper?
I am using Rhino 5 and Grasshopper Build 0.9.0076.

Thanks again for help so far…

(Thomas Evans) #6

I’m using rh6, check this quick fix for rh5
voronio dodecahedron 1.1_v2_rh5.gh (17.2 KB)

(Cthom27) #7

Thomas that’s fixed it for me.

One new component (shift paths) in there for me to learn, and then to figure out how the rest of your revised definition works.

I’m saving up to get Rhino 6 soon…

Thanks again for your help.