Export points coordinates to csv from Rhino

Hi Everyone,

I want to export a set of points coordinates and origin to csv format from Rhino.
I wonder how to proceed with this.
I tried a couple time in Rhino file menu - export with origin, selected the csv output, it didn’t give me anything. I wonder maybe my setting in the populate panel were wrong. How should I do it?

Looking at you tube and vimeo videos, they showed using Python or Rhino script to do it. As I am not familiar with both, these ways don’t work for me.

Can someone give me a lead?

Thanks

Raymond

1 Like

Hi Raymond - so you want to export the points with coordinates that are other than the current World coordinates, do I have that right? If so I think the easy way out is to set the current CPlane to the coordinate system you like, select the points, RemapCPlane them from the CPlane to Top (World) Export, then Undo the remap cplane part.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for helping me!

My original intention was to export points in world coordinates. Aiming to get X, Y, Z figures. I ruled out the check mark at csv Export Options one by one. Finally, I got the right info that I need i.e. image 1. (only objection description works)
When I imported this info back to Rhino, it didn’t show any points. However, the command line showed “import successfully”. Don’t know why.
I went to delete the first column numbers and texts like image 2. And reimported to Rhino. It worked.
I want to know if my procedure were correct or not. And why I need to do some modification on to csv file.
Can you advise me?

Another thing, you opened an interesting suggestion to me that I never thought of. Export them in Cplane. I am going to try. I think it will be very useful along my work.
Excited!!

Cheers
Raymond

1 Like

Hi Raymond - I think you have it right for csv, but for points, exporting as .txt may get you more what you are after.

-Pascal

1 Like

hi Pascal,

It works. Export points to .txt file will get my results directly.
No problem to import to other Rhino doc.
Thanks

Raymond

This is exactly what I need to do, but I dont see these rhino export options in Rhino 6 (.txt or .csv). Did the process change?

Hello - on Export you should see this for available file types:

Is that not what you get?

-Pascal

1 Like

Yup! I feel super dumb now. I was looking for for the word “Text” not “Points.” I guess I put my psychological blinders on… Thank you though…

Hi! I would like to know if it’s possible to assign a google maps origin to a point of an object and then export the coordinates of the points that compose this object, assuming that these coordinates will be linked to the google maps coordinates…

I was trying to do these:

1. Asigne an google maps origin through earth anchor point to a point in this object.
  2. Points on and make a cloud of points.
  3. Export as txt to see the data and the coordinates that should be associated to the google maps coordinates.

But when i’m comparing the data with the origin, they are different and the coordinates are not associated with the google maps coordinates,

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Hi - you can export an object to Google Earth (*.kmz) file format. The coordinates are then relative to the earth anchor point that you set.
-wim

@wim - that is where I was headed, but for points it does not look like there are useful results, but I might be reading the file wrong…?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal - I’m wondering how you are determining that. I didn’t take a deep dive into the file format and from my brief look it seems like only camera positions are added to the dae file in the kmz container. Opening that kmz file (with just 1 point exported from Rhino) in Google Earth seems to go to the correct place…
I looked at some kmz to gpx online converters but they all seemed to have problems with that file that was written by Rhino.
-wim

@wim - that answers that then - thanks - I looked in the dae file inside the kmz and it did not look to me like there were point coordinates in there but it was late … =)

-Pascal

Hello everyone,
I am new to Rhino and I face a related problem and I need help from whoever is available: I am working on a 3D animal head construction project from stainless wire using Rhino 6 + Matlab, whose data is transferred to a wire bender homemade controlled by Arduino + [Processing].
This is the sequence: extract curves from the 3D object → export the xyz coordinates of each one by the script “ExporPointsToExcel” by Dale Fugier →
send xyz to Matlab that converts them to LRA (length, radius, angle) → from Matlab, send to Processing as .txt, which interprets, generates the respective image for viewing and sends the data to Arduino to move the machine axes.
The big headache is that the images displayed in Processing are different from those of Rhino, that is, the manufactured part will not be the same as the drawing; I need clarification to understand what I’m doing wrong, so I ask: IS THERE A CORRECT OBJECT POSITION FOR THE EXTRACTION OF COORDINATES IN THE RHINO?

Otherwise, I’m sure the error will be in Processing

I did several tests changing positions randomly in Rhino and I confess that I worked hard to match objects (Rhino - Processing), as I show in video 2
That’s how I’ve been doing it to get the right image.

In the first video, notice the difference between the two objects; note that in the second video, after many changes in positions in Rhino, the objects were matched.
Ah yes! remembering that in the 1st example I made the separation between two points so as not to duplicate.

Thankful,
Edson.

Hi -

I’m not completely sure exactly what it is that you are asking there but most likely the answer is No.

There’s no magic going on with coordinates in Rhino.
Create a few points, export these to the Points (*.txt) format. Open that text file in notepad and compare that with the information that the What command gives you in Rhino. Within tolerance, they will be identical.
-wim

How to Exporting points as sequences of selection to have matched with descriptions of items due to items names diffrantes so need coordiants to be matched with names ???