Evaluate F(X) Expression input - Problems with Example Definition from the AAD book

Hi guys,

I am new to Grasshopper, so I have been going through the AAD Algorithms Aided Design Book by Arturo Tedeschi.

Towards the end of Chapter 2, their is a example definition that uses the Evaluate F(X) component, and it wants to input a function of X^2.

The Panel & the Expression components won’t work, and causes the script to fail.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thank you!!!

90|690x388

I think it’s lowercase x

1 Like

Hi Michael!

I tried to change the X to an x, but It doesn’t look like anything has changed. Am I typing it in wrong?

The Evaluate F(X) component error says

1. Parameter “Variable x” has an invalid name. Only use alphanumeric characters and don’t start with a number.
  2. Parameter “Variable y” has an invalid name. Only use alphanumeric characters and don’t start with a number.

The interpolate component error says:

1. Insufficient interpolation points for a curve

This is what the script looks like on my computer.

I believe it is because you are using full name inputs (if I remember the issue correctly). So it is saying “variable x”

See here: Bug: Function component + Draw full names

2 Likes

As you said! there is indeed a strange bug when displaying names for the function component.

I started a fresh file and tried the script again. Here is a screenshot of it working :slight_smile:

Time to move forward in the book!

Thank you for your help!

To me this Bug: Function component + Draw full names didn’t work.
I solved by putting the x into brackets: (x)=6 for example, as the x is called ‘Variable x (x)’, so Variable x sounds more like a description while the function would require the (x) to work.
Hope it helps.

Thank you!