Erwin Hauer Mesh to Surface

Hi everyone,

I’d like some help mapping an Erwin Hauer mesh onto a surface, please. The surface is a wrist splint modelled from a 3D scan of an arm. I’ve managed to map the mesh geometry onto the splint but I’m unable to constrain it the surface boundary at the top of the splint where the thumb and finger cutouts are. I’ve attempted to use the Dimension Surface and Plane Surface tools but I’m stuck with where to go next!

Also, some advice on the following issues too, please:

1. I’d like to use the point attractor tool (or a better method) to vary the density of the mesh at specific points on the splint surface.

2. I’d like to use the Weaver Bird colour gradient function to vary the global colour of the mesh once it’s mapped to the splint surface (see picture attached)

Thank you!

Erwin Hauer Mesh.gh (23.9 KB)

Erwin Hauer Mesh (Internalised Data).gh (267.3 KB)

An updated file with Internalised data. Thanks

One solution is to quad remesh the brep in Rhino WIP, then use quad mesh box morph. There are surely components in Pufferfish or other plugin for that. But it is doable in Grasshopper

Like for the vase it could be better to put a different mesh on the edges.
It is also possible to orient faces …

Erwin Hauer Mesh (Internalised Data).gh (5.7 MB)

4 Likes

Thank you for your help Laurent. With your definition, how do I adjust the thickness and density of the tiles? Also, how would I frame or have sealed border around the 3 openings? Thanks

For the thickness look at the panel named height and replace it with a list or datatree of height.
For the border I did that for the vase. Look at the script if you can replicate the method.
For the density I didn’t look if quad remesher has some options. Look at Rhinocommon documentation.
https://developer.rhino3d.com/wip/api/RhinoCommon/html/T_Rhino_Geometry_QuadRemeshParameters.htm

Have you tried the WIP Pf subD box morphing? It is pretty fun. Also the quad remesher and options are available already in the WIP grasshopper from McNeel hidden in Mesh > Triangulation (they have no icons)

Hi Laurent, I’m re-visiting this model and the definition you kindly made for me and I can’t work out how to re-orient the tiles when they are morphed on the surface. In your definition, when the pattern is repeated, it seems to be flipping by 90 degrees. I wondered if you could advise how to stop this from happening. I’ve attached pictures of what I would like to achieve, thanks a lot!

Box Morph Help(1).gh (634.0 KB)

Hello
I could be wrong but I think you can’t with this shape. It is a topology problem, there are some points with an odd number of faces (5 here).

It is quite the same problem with the hair on a sphere, dog …

1 Like

I see, that’s really interesting, thanks Laurent. What would be your advice for solving this issue? Would adjusting quad density still leave me with the same issue or are there tweaks to the geometry that would allow me properly orientate the box morph? Thanks!

It actually is possible, even for meshes with odd valence vertices like this, you just need to use a different smaller piece as your repeating base unit like this:

It’s quite fun to play with - depending how the directions of the mesh are organised you get different patterns of crossings

hauer_updown.gh (42.8 KB)

20 Likes

Again, thank you Daniel!